Dumb question about ride comfort in passenger seat vs driver seat of lowered mustang

nate714

Established Member
This may seem like a dumb question, and my thoughts may even answer it, but I'm wondering if anyone knows what specifically makes the passenger seat so much of a rougher ride than the driver seat?

When I'm in the driver seat of my car it is pretty tolerable on patchy bad roads, but if I let my girlfriend drive on the same roads with me in the passenger seat (yeah I trust her, and I share my ride) suddenly the passenger seat feels like a wooden rollercoaster with all the bumps rattling me around. She's made similar comments on the comfort difference between the two seats. Not complaining just pondering this revelation lol.

Is it the lower positioning of the passenger seat? Is it the lack of bracing against the steering wheel? Is it all in our heads? Does the driver seat absorb more impact forces from the road?

I know it's not the most technical question and it's a minor concern because racecar and screw passenger seats right? I'm just curious if anyone has similar experiences or insight. Suspension Mods in sig, car is lowered but nothing aggressive like coilovers. Also its a base GT cloth seats, not recaro's.

Last edited:

NoVA_Mike

Established Member
Hmmm... That must explain the burn marks on the right side of my face.
My wife stares at me with the force of a thousand hates during the few times she has to ride shotty.

nate714

Established Member
Hmmm... That must explain the burn marks on the right side of my face.
My wife stares at me with the force of a thousand hates during the few times she has to ride shotty.

lmao if you don't mind giving up the helm for a bit, try the passenger seat out. It's not dramatically worse, but the little bumps and and dips in the road seem amplified in the passenger seat, there is something about the driver side that noticeably takes the edge off from the road imperfections and railroad tracks etc. Your suspension mods are pretty close to mine, except for springs and UCA. It's not a driving habit thing either, cuz I definitely get the hate glare when I do a little light to light dig race, but just driving at 40mph on poor roads there's a difference between seats.

Skrapmetal

Established Member
I've always just assumed it was a combination of the fact that the driver has a big wheel to hold onto to brace themselves, and the driver is more conscious of when the car is getting ready to hit a bump or when they are shifting so they don't let themselves get thrown around as much.

Or maybe it's voodoo. Could be that.

Evojayfi21

Established Member
I've always just assumed it was a combination of the fact that the driver has a big wheel to hold onto to brace themselves, and the driver is more conscious of when the car is getting ready to hit a bump or when they are shifting so they don't let themselves get thrown around as much.

Or maybe it's voodoo. Could be that.

This, and the fact that the driver seat has been broken in more may have a little bit to do with it.

noldevin

Established Member
I think its a combination of a more-broken-in seat, having a steering wheel to hold, and knowing exactly what's coming up on the road. The passenger will be less attentive of the road and any upcoming bumps, acceleration changes, or shifts.

Skrapmetal

Established Member
For the record I've noticed this same thing in just about every truck or sports car I've been in.

Users who are viewing this thread