Dumb VMP Stage 1 Question

Sizeth3

Established Member
I am very interested in the VMP Stage 1 kit on Americanmuscle.com

I like the Roush Stage 1 kit, however have heard so many bad stories about the Roush tunes, that I am looking at other options. Also, I already own an SCT tuner, so a kit that takes that into account seems cool in my book.

So on to the dumb question, the Stage 1 VMP kit is rated at 715 horsepower. That seems high, especially since the kit does not appear to come with a boost a pump.

I was really hoping this kit would be more in the 600 fwhp ballpark, but with a more aggressive tune than the Roush kits.

Anyone here have any insight?

390771G11

FEATURES

• Stage 1 VMP GENII 2.3L TVS Supercharger - 715 Horsepower
  • 85mm Supercharger Pulley (9PSI of Boost)
  • JLT 123mm Plastic Cold Air Intake System
  • Twin 60mm Throttle Body with Spacer
  • Unique Roush Designed Fuel Rail with OEM Style 47lb/hr Injectors
  • Includes One SCT Custom File from VMP Tuning
  • Includes Two Datalog Reviews (If Necessary)
  • 1 Year / 100,000 Mile Limited Warranty on Supercharger
  • Fits All 2011-2014 GT Mustangs

nate714

Established Member
I've been wondering the exact same. Sounds high for the listed hardware. I am starting to think that they are advertising HP numbers achieved with a different pulley.

Here's a link from VMP's product page for the stage 1 tuner kit, priced the same as AM lists the VMP stage 1.

http://www.vmpperformance.com/product-p/stage150gen2.htm

They list the 47lb injector as able to support 500-600 HP. They also suggest the stock 5.0 can run up to 600 hp and the boss motor up to 700, so there's that..... I think AM just listed the biggest numbers they could get away with, NOT what is accurate to the specific pieces in that kit.

Vert

Established Member
Go with the VMP kit since it has a better HE and better tune. With this kit and an 82mm pulley it will put it around 600whp +/- 15 whp.

Sizeth3

Established Member
I've been wondering the exact same. Sounds high for the listed hardware. I am starting to think that they are advertising HP numbers achieved with a different pulley.

Here's a link from VMP's product page for the stage 1 tuner kit, priced the same as AM lists the VMP stage 1.

http://www.vmpperformance.com/product-p/stage150gen2.htm

They list the 47lb injector as able to support 500-600 HP. They also suggest the stock 5.0 can run up to 600 hp and the boss motor up to 700, so there's that..... I think AM just listed the biggest numbers they could get away with, NOT what is accurate to the specific pieces in that kit.

Cool I will have to call and see. The injectors piece makes sense also.

600fwhp with that kit and a good (non-Roush) tune should be easy

I am hesitant to drop $6000 on a kit that needs a $600 email tune to put down decent numbers :(. People really seem to hate the Roush tunes.

dabster

Established Member
I have the roush kit and picked up 4-5mph from getting a real tune on the same exact set up. The roush tune's drivability is nice though and it's safe. I would get a real tune. The HE isn't that great either, my intake temps were super high at the track sitting in line while waiting, the car pulled timing due to it.

Sizeth3

Established Member
I have the roush kit and picked up 4-5mph from getting a real tune on the same exact set up. The roush tune's drivability is nice though and it's safe. I would get a real tune. The HE isn't that great either, my intake temps were super high at the track sitting in line while waiting, the car pulled timing due to it.

Which Roush kit and what did you run before and after?

Thanks!

demas

Established Member
Hi,
Do you're self a favor and go with VMP!
I have stage 2 and now upgrading to 3 and I so impressed everytime!
The car is really fun to drive and very powerful!
Justin and the VMP team are the best in the TVS field and they certainly know what they do, and that's proven.

In addition, I would go with stage higher than 1 because u will upgrade in the future for sure and you can save some bucks in advance.

Good luck

Vert

Established Member
How is the install on this rig and does it have that high pitched whine that I've heard on some pd units?
Install is not bad at all, around 8-10 hours going easy. Worst part is probably trimming the timing cover and doing the one de-pining. They aren't really hard just tedious. Im getting ready to install mine a second time in a new stang and I cant wait to get underway.
As far as the whine. If you run the jlt with an open cone and 82mm pulley, you will get some whine in the upper rpms. These dont scream like the whipples but the do whine.

q6543

Established Member
I asked the same Questions in the vmp forum and also could not get a clear response.

is the vmp tune included almost as good as a custom tune?

I ended up going procharger, couldn't get a confirmed correct answer, everyone recommend s to get a custom tune.

Vert

Established Member
The vmp tune is a custom tune via email. You get an initial tune from vmp, then you datalog and he adjusts from there.

dabster

Established Member
Cool I will have to call and see. The injectors piece makes sense also.

I am hesitant to drop $6000 on a kit that needs a $600 email tune to put down decent numbers :(. People really seem to hate the Roush tunes.
That's only 10% of the actual cost of the blower, and most tuners charge 450 for a remote tune these days. It's worth it, why invest that much money and not have it run close to it's full potential?

Users who are viewing this thread