Dwindling Performance

crouton

Crunchy Cube
Established Member
I am hoping to get some clearer answers with regards to my daily driver, an 03 5.4 F150.*

I apologize if this has been coved before, but I have searched several times but have not been able to come up with a conclusive answer to my question.

My truck has been tuned via SCT Xcal 3 by a local dealer. I have only softened the shift pressure a tad myself, but it does not have a bearing on what I am experiencing in my opinion. This same dealer has tuned my stang and *it's perfect.*

I drive very consistently (spirited) with my truck. Keep in mind I also put about 70-120 miles on the truck every day. City and hwy. When the tune is first loaded, the truck runs very strong and steady, and you can feel the acceleration pull you back in the seat and the motor sounds very smooth and uniform. However, the longer I drive it, say within 4 or 5 days, it seems to lose some responsiveness, the motor sounds weaker and a but louder, and its not impressive anymore. Reload the tune, it goes back to the excellent responsiveness for a few days.

The only contributing things I can think of mechanically are perhaps my O2 sensors, or the truck needing coil packs or plugs as I did get a code for a misfire, and subsequently o2. However, I think the o2 code could be the result of a miss?

Do these trucks have some type of torque management built into the PCM? If so, could this be eliminated to help keep performance consistent?*

What else could be causing the decrease in power? I would be happy to advise of any other parameters requested but essentially the only trouble I have with the truck is an occasional miss and the exhaust smells rich at times (no catalyst).

2002BLGT

Established Member
Sounds like whatever your issue is with the truck , the PCM could be pulling timing to prevent harm to the engine , fix the missfire issue and or O2 issue and it will probably quit doing this

Users who are viewing this thread