Dyeing leather shift knob?

J.Rovirosa

Established Member
Just picked up an FRPP shift knob:

http://www.jegs.com/images/photos/397M7213G.jpg

....and realized that it's not black, but "charcoal". I really like it, despite the color and the fact that its base is a bit larger than the stock shift boot. The only options I think I have would be to get a matching charcoal boot from Redline (though now there's a mismatch between the knob/boot and parking brake handle :rollseyes) or I could somehow make the knob black.

Anyone tried dyeing leather, especially a surface that will be handled frequently?

HandsomeRob

Established Member
I definitely would not dye it. I had that same knob with my black leather shift boot and it looked awesome. Now I have a MGW Shifter with new OEM shift boot and a white with 2 black stripes rally shift ball. It looks great

J.Rovirosa

Established Member
In case anyone's interested in doing this, I used:

Fiebing Company Inc Fiebings Leather Dye Black 4 Ounces - ldye01p004z

Just cleaned the knob with isopropyl alcohol, gave it a few even coats of dye, and let it sit for a couple of days before installing it. Note that the knob was brand new, so used knobs might need a more thorough cleaning with something stronger. Came out great, but I can't speak for its durability since I don't drive the car. I will say that after going over it with Lexol leather cleaner and handling it to get it on, nothing came off on my hands.

Users who are viewing this thread