Dying suede inserts

XyX

Still in the game.
Established Member
Wondering if anyone has ever tried dying their suede inserts? I am talking about the 03 light grey ones, I wanted to dye ine the darker black color like the 04 seats. I know.."just go trade someone or go buy some 04 seats". Just wondering if anyone has ever looking to dying the them before. I think it'd be pretty cool and a nice touch to the interior.:shrug:

XyX

Still in the game.
Established Member
from what i read on google..people say to try a leather repair(shoe/luggage) shop and ask them what to use. But i'd figure outta allllll these cobra owners, one might have thought of this before.

SVT04

Established Member
The "suede" is in fact actually Alcantra synthetic fabric. Google it and check with the manufacturer to see if it can be dyed and also to see how to clean it. :burnout:

XyX

Still in the game.
Established Member
I like the darker 04 color..at least for my black car..I e-mailed a couple alcantara dealers and the manufacturer to see about dying options.

Erick

Established Member
I seriously would not risk it. It's not like you're dyeing something that will not be touched frequently. If the dye does take, it will not last and you'll be left with a mess. Also, if the dye decides to run, you could poosibly ruin some clothes or even worse ruin your girl's clothes. Now you really have a mess on your hands!

SoCalHarley

SC32VGT
Established Member
I dyed a new carpet for my car using Rit Dye... black. Suggested by a custom upholstery guy in the area. Worked great... if the fiber is a porous synthetic the dye should work fine I would bet. The problem would be testing an area to see color match with the leather... I'd be curious to see what the manufacturer suggests

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
I wouldn't dye it either. Go talk to an upholstery shop about swapping the centers to a dark suede. It's probably not as crazy expensive as you'd think.

XyX

Still in the game.
Established Member
hrmm..when i get back to new orleans i'll go talk to an interior guy

Vette Eater

Established Member
You can't dye Alcantara, even though it's a synthetic material is still has the same properties as suede. If you dye it, it will be stiff and look like crap. A really good friend of mine owns a mobile interior repair business, when he repair this or suede materials he has to use a special powder like material that he sprinkles over the area with a special chemical almost like spray glue. I'm on the phone with him now and he said DO NOT DO IT. Spend the money and have it reupholstered or sell yours for the color you want.

fhp89lx

SVT Pride
Established Member
You can't dye Alcantara, even though it's a synthetic material is still has the same properties as suede. If you dye it, it will be stiff and look like crap. A really good friend of mine owns a mobile interior repair business, when he repair this or suede materials he has to use a special powder like material that he sprinkles over the area with a special chemical almost like spray glue. I'm on the phone with him now and he said DO NOT DO IT. Spend the money and have it reupholstered or sell yours for the color you want.

Ok thanks. Its just Ive been looking for the 04 dark suede seats. I know Toulsey Ford has them but they want to much for it. I'll just wait and keep searching.

mush4u

Established Member
i had mine swapped from tan to white.....make interior look bas ass!!!! (i think)....its not over kill.....cost me 1k for all four seats to get done...

MYCARPICS060.jpg

DSC01235.jpg

Last edited:

fhp89lx

SVT Pride
Established Member
i had mine swapped from tan to white.....make interior look bas ass!!!! (i think)....its not over kill.....cost me 1k for all four seats to get done...

MYCARPICS060.jpg

DSC01235.jpg

Very nice!! I like it. Where did you get it done? Did you replace the cobra symbol on the seat?

Users who are viewing this thread