Dyno knowledge people explain please?

FoMoCoDave

Established Member
Some one with dyno knowledge on the 03’s help me out here please. These are back to back runs right after installing a 4lb lower to go along with my 2.93 upper. I had some belt slip going on I believe at the time but could it have been some spark blow out as well. On the first run you can see the RPM scale is off due to the pickup not being hooked up properly I think. The second run the RPM is right but the run went nuts. I have since removed the lower because belt slip was bad even with a 100mm idler. I would like to try it again with a non-slip upper.

Any ideas??

First run: 404.2 rwhp / 1022.9 rwtq

Second run: 309.4 rwhp / 461.5 rwtq

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
1022 rwtq?? What kind of dyno are you using?

What are all of your mods, plugs, exhuast, everything.

You lost 100rwhp on the second run? Something is definately wrong. You really should give the car some cool down time. Especially with a 2.93 upper and a 4lb lower.

Robertson Racin

All American Muscle
Established Member
It's to large to upload, do you have a way of reducing the size?? Its 2.16MB currently

dragginwagon

Established Member
most likely they had the scaling wrong for the RPM readout, such as plug firing every 360 deg rather than 720. What were they hooked up to??? Usually the coil cover is pulled off and hooked around the wires going into one coil. On a dynojet you ALWAYS get a accurate HP reading, but torque is inaccurate if scaling is wrong, if interference from other wires, etc. If no tach is hooked up, you still get HP but no torque readout. If you have driveline slip as well you're TQ #'s can be off. If it is belt slip or such, the graph on the printout will show a loss of power, it is a pretty noticeable transition.

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
wow, what did the dyno shop say when it came out to 1022rwtq? I would DEFINATELY go somewhere else.

dragginwagon

Established Member
sorry, just noticed you posted the graphs... The first run the scaling is definately off, the second run looks like it was a proble w/ the car, most likely belt slip because the power quit climbing but the A/F didn't go rich, which means the MAF was reading correct airflow, but it quit building boost. Spark blowout gets pretty violent on the graph, and A/F generally goes really rich (the fuel isn't getting burned) I wasn't there to see the operaters or hear the car so I don't know, but the car must've sounded different on the second pull.

FoMoCoDave

Established Member
Yeah the car acted up on the second pull. The first run the RPM reader was not hooked up properly at the coil pack. The second run was the car, just wanted some knowledge of the cause. Thanks for the replys so far guys.

Copperhead

"Cover me, Porkins!"
Established Member
Wow FoMoCoDave...You're overtaking my high score for 03 Cobra's on Air Cooled Classic's Dyno (see sigs for numbers)

Was it a girl running the Dyno? She had trouble with mine at first too last time I was there. She was having problems with the wideband though. It kept falling out and and giving very lean numbers on A/F.

She did something to mine too on my first run last time. When I stood on it in 4th gear, right around 4k rpm it bogged (wierd), Almost like she bumped the dyno brake by accident. (nice girl though, pretty too!)

KevinJKD...Can't go anywhere else. They are the only chassis dyno around.

Anybody interested in opening up a Mustang tuning shop around Knoxville? We'd love to have you!

FoMoCoDave

Established Member
Originally posted by Copperhead
Wow FoMoCoDave...You're overtaking my high score for 03 Cobra's on Air Cooled Classic's Dyno (see sigs for numbers)

Was it a girl running the Dyno? She had trouble with mine at first too last time I was there. She was having problems with the wideband though. It kept falling out and and giving very lean numbers on A/F.

She did something to mine too on my first run last time. When I stood on it in 4th gear, right around 4k rpm it bogged (wierd), Almost like she bumped the dyno brake by accident. (nice girl though, pretty too!)

KevinJKD...Can't go anywhere else. They are the only chassis dyno around.

Anybody interested in opening up a Mustang tuning shop around Knoxville? We'd love to have you!

No it was a guy that is not there anymore. It was just a bad connection on the first pull. The second pull mine did the same kinda bogging thing you described, and the boost gage went nuts. I figured I had problems so I did not pull a third time.

I think the dyno at ACC is a good one, just did not have the car set-up right i guess. Should have used a non-slip pully.

Copperhead, lets hook up and cruise sometime. I am in Morristown:beer:

SilverSlayerTT

Established Member
Originally posted by Copperhead

There is a Mustang shop near Knoxville. I had my car done at Intune Motorsports in Charleston, Tn( about 45 minutes from Knoxvegas). They have a Mustang Dyno and are a Diablo dealer and Tuner. Phone # is 423-336-5850.

Copperhead

"Cover me, Porkins!"
Established Member
Holy Hell Sweet Silver...are you kidding?! I will check this out!

FoMoCoDave...check out the regional forum "south" We are trying to get something together soon. Ther is thread there with a bunch of Knoxville folk on it.

A cruise would be great...especially in this cool, dry weather!

Users who are viewing this thread