Dyno pulls in 4th

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
Those numbers do seem a little low. I would wait for a little better weather, 70s with 60-70% humidity, or slightly dryer, and make a 5th gear pull and see what happens.

It very may well be the dyno that was reading low and you are actually making more.

jp2134

Established Member
That's what the weather is here. It was like 75 and 30% humidity. The guy that ran the dyno said his numbers are usually lower. I was just really curious about my tune because it was so bad before. I didn't want to wait another 2 weeks while i'm driving around with a BS tune.
I guess dyno's are like cars, every one is different.

SCalla1384

Established Member
Hp and tq will read lower in an underdrive gear. Because the motor isn't working as hard.

As far as weather... It won't matter much. I've dynod and made 400rwhp and then uncorrected it was like 370rwhp. Then dynod again at 400rwhp and uncorrected was like 415rwhp. So the dyno I used anyways is very consistent.

As far as 5th gear making more torque. Like I said, in 4th I made 373rwtq. In 5th it was 390rwtq.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
Hp and tq will read lower in an underdrive gear. Because the motor isn't working as hard.

As far as weather... It won't matter much. I've dynod and made 400rwhp and then uncorrected it was like 370rwhp. Then dynod again at 400rwhp and uncorrected was like 415rwhp. So the dyno I used anyways is very consistent.

As far as 5th gear making more torque. Like I said, in 4th I made 373rwtq. In 5th it was 390rwtq.

No, the motor is actually working harder. Exactly why people tell you I not run a at hard in OD because it stresses the motor too much. The trans and rear diff aren't working as hard in under drive. Theoretically, the motor performs the same work all the time, it's just that the drive like itself induces counter stresses on the motor to move the car. This is why rear gear ratios have a slight effect on dyno readings. TQ should read higher in an under drive since the motor is having to work harder, since torque is work...unless this physics concept doesn't exactly apply. The hp will plummet because of how long it will take to perform that work over time.

I'm curious to see someone do that. Make a pull in 4th, 5th and 6th gears, only to like 4k rpm or so and look at the difference.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread