Dyno questions...

IGO 202

Established Member
I went last week for a baseline dyno session. The shop builds & tunes alot of FI engines, I'm gonna stay n/a.

He let the engine cool down about 20 minutes between pulls with a large fan running into the grill.

In four pulls the largest difference in hp between pulls was 5hp and it was with the shortest cool down, less than 10 minutes. I just figured the oil was warmer & thinner which helped make a few more ponies.

I've got hundreds of pulls on my bikes over the years that I race and they continually make more power up to a point, which may take a dozen pulls to get heat soaked. They do not have knock sensors.

Do other dyno operators wait 20+ minutes between pulls or do them back to back fairy quickly?
I'm thinking this shop is just used to letting boosted engines cool down between runs which definately helps them.

Also, seems like I read when our engine oil temperature gets to a certain degree, the PCM will pull timing. I can't find out anything for sure. If this is true would anyone know what that temperature is?

Thanks in advance,
Dan

itSSlow98

Established Member
The amount of heat you lose in 20 minutes is nothing. Guarantee your back to the same temp by the time he does the next pull anyways. I wouldnt be worried one bit.

IGO 202

Established Member
It made 362 & 344 SAE. 4th gear pulls.

Bone stock except for 275 rears instead of the OEM 245's. Almost 1,200 miles on it.

A buddy was with me and he has a '13 GT 6sp, his made 397hp with a JLT CAI, BAMA 93 tune & Roush AB's. His made 367hp several weeks ago on the same dyno stock. His mileage was 1,300 the first session and 4,500 this time. Ambient temp was about 35* before and low 60's this time.

I'll be going back for a follow up as soon as my parts come in.
photo4_zps0ef01f89.jpg

Dan

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread