Dyno tune or handheld tuner?

Myersprostatus

Established Member
Hey guys, I've got a question relating to a performance tune. I just got my 99 cobra running and I was wondering if I should get the car dyno tuned or just set up my personal tune with a handheld sct.
The car has some internal modifications such as stage 1 ported heads,96-98 intake cams, and the compression is bumped up to 10:5.1.
I plan on getting a Cold air intake as well as an x-pipe/catback.
Also if I got it dyno tuned would I need the handheld for the actual dyno tune?
any info mcuh appreciated.
-Mitch

Top Fuel Friday

Dang!
Established Member
Your best bet will be a dyno tune since you've changed the internal dynamics of your engine. You have the option to get a chip or a hand held tuner for them to store the tune on. Your best bet is to find your tuner, see what software he uses (Probably SCT) and find a used one or let him include it in the package deal for the dyno time and tune.

You probably can find a mail order tune for what you've done, but it will be a little generic to your setup.

shurur

Established Member
If you get it dyno'd, post up before and after tune graphs..if you please!!!

OW99

Established Member
You can get away with a personal tune with that setup as its just slightly different than stock. A dyno tune would benefit you though. If you have a handheld tuner already see if your tuner has the same software so you can use it.

Myersprostatus

Established Member
cool thanks!
Ive heard of a tuner in Huntington Beach, basically where I live called powertrain dynamics I believe.

I will definitely post up the results when I get it done!
Any super reputable tuners around the So Cal area?

Users who are viewing this thread