dyno with 3.1 pulley

DirtyHarry

Make my day
Established Member
I just had a dyno run this past weekend and was happy with the results despite the hot temps. I did it in the AM before it was too hot but it was still humid and over 82 degrees.
I got 481 HP
481 TQ with the A/F at approx. 13.

I am surprised because I still have a 3.1 pulley and have not had porting done yet. I am going to the 2.76 and porting within the next week or two and would be real happy to get the 50-60 rwhp bump most people seem to get..............

Last edited:

jk03cobra

Established Member
DirtyHarry said:
I just had a dyno run this past weekend and was happy with the results despite the hot temps. I did it in the AM before it was too hot but it was still humid and over 82 degrees.
I got 481 HP
481 TQ with the A/F over 13 all the way across the run.

I am surprised because I still have a 3.1 pulley and have not had porting done yet. I am going to the 2.76 and porting within the next week or two and would be real happy to get the 50-60 rwhp bump most people seem to get..............

Your A/F is over 13 all the way across?? :uh oh: That's why you got so much power out of the 3.1 pulley but you won't have your motor for very long. That is way crazy!! You need to get that thing tuned and get your A/F down in the 11.5 - 11.8 range if you want to keep your motor. You are way lean right now.

03gobluecobra

torque steer sucks
Established Member
yep. Way way too lean.

I dynoed around 450rwhp and 425 rwtq with mine, but I still have stock cats and heavier rims than you.

csumt76

Established Member
Agreed way lean.... under WOT.

Also, doesn't Steigemeier reccomend a 2.93 for best performance with the Stg III port?? Who knows, not like I own one.

DirtyHarry

Make my day
Established Member
Appreciate the input. I realize that 13 is on the lean side. From what I have read, it seems the target AFR is 11.8-12.0. I was also surprised because usually when people post with dyno numbers being lean, they are usually told that their #s will improve as they improve the AFR. Based on that fact I was just surprised my #s were 481 with a lean AFR. I'm just trying to figure out if the numbers will drop or improve as things are cleaned up....I should mention this is at a dyno shop that just opened. I went back in the evening to see what other cars pulled and they seemed generally appropriate.
thanks
Harry

Last edited:

DKS2814V

Moderately Modified
Established Member
Numbers will drop when you "richen" up your A/F ratio... Small price to pay for an alternative engine rebuild.

DirtyHarry

Make my day
Established Member
Appreciate the input, the more I think about it the more upset I am at the dyno shop. They kept telling me that was nothing to worry about.......I have also been told that there may have been errors in the way it was measured. This shop is just opening up.

jk03cobra

Established Member
Yeah, I would be upset too. If you can, try to find another shop to have it checked at just to be sure. If there were errors in the way they measured, hopefully they errored on the lean side and it is actually richer than that. Either way I'd try a different shop that is more careful with your car. Good luck. :beer:

DirtyHarry

Make my day
Established Member
481 on both. With the messed up A/F numbers and this HP/TQ being way higher than expected, I am thinking the dyno shop is in error. I am going to a more established one tomorrow to recheck things, until then I am staying off of the boost. The car runs great, just the numbers all seem off. Has any one else had a dyno with numbers so out of proportion? People I have talked to have said that a non ported 3.1 pullied car cannot get those numbers and not to trust any of it.

DKS2814V

Moderately Modified
Established Member
Where exactly did you have it dyno tuned and where are you having it dynoed? I'm unfamiliar with Harker Heights.

DirtyHarry

Make my day
Established Member
DKS2814V,
The place that is opening (where I had it done) is across from Killeen HS. No fixed sign up yet, just the big Dynojet banner. I was going to take it to A.R.T. in Buda TX for a more reliable dyno. Who do you recommend in Dallas or closer to Ft Hood fpr help?

DKS2814V

Moderately Modified
Established Member
Dallas Mustang has a dyno, but recently been steered away from them due to discontent customers.

I called HPP just this morning. I've heard extremely good stories and they have great customer service.

I called them this morning and they have great prices on dyno time and dyno tuning... PM me for details regarding prices and stuff. They're just north of downtown Dallas, probably about thirty minutes.

Couple of my buddies in Houston are going to make the trip all the way up here (either on a trailer or drive), and get their car tuned because they have such a good reputation.

If you've kept up with Tracy's ordeal/fiasco, she has her car sitting up there getting fixed. Extremely good guys who will take the time and have the knowledge to do it right...

Black_Sunshine

Established Member
An A/F of 13 is good on a NA motor, not a blower car. If they just opened up, do they have any idea how to tune a FI car. If they said that there is nothing to worry about, then they must think that a 13 is good for both a NA and a FI car. Go somewhere else.

KC

ModsAway

Established Member
Black_Sunshine said:
An A/F of 13 is good on a NA motor, not a blower car. If they just opened up, do they have any idea how to tune a FI car. If they said that there is nothing to worry about, then they must think that a 13 is good for both a NA and a FI car. Go somewhere else.

KC

You beat me to it!!

+1

DirtyHarry

Make my day
Established Member
I redyno'ed my car today at Maxwell Dodge in Round Rock. The numbers are more where they should have been. AFR was mostly 12s to high 11s. HP was 450, TQ was 449. It amazes me how far the new dyno shop was off and how they told me my AFR was fine. I appreciate the help and customer service at RWTD.com, both James and Scott spoke to me on the phone a couple of times and immediately told me that the dyno was off and there was no way my 3.1 pulley was giving those kinds of numbers on that tune. I am now relieved.

Users who are viewing this thread