DYNO - WITH AND WITHOUT SILENCER!!!

Fast03Cobra

Established Member
Went and had a DynoMax 3" Cat-Back system install and a Diablo chip (regular tune, not the good tune with mods). Other mods are K&N filter in stock Air Box,

BTW: THESE ARE CORRECTED SAE NUMBERS THE NUMBER WERE ACTUALLY HIGHER!!!

DYNO #2 WITH MODS AND SILENCER ON CAR:
--------------------------------------
Pressure: 30.01 in Hg
Intake Air Temp: 83.9
Correction Factor: 0.98 SAE

Max Power = 410.2
Max Torque = 396.2

DYNO #3 WITH MODS AND SILENCER REMOVED:
---------------------------------------
Pressure: 30.02 in Hg
Intake Air Temp: 84.9
Correction Factor: 0.98 SAE

Max Power = 413.7
Max Torque = 397.9

I picked up almost 4 HP and 1.5 in Torque. BUT the remarkable thing is that on the graph the lines get choppy from 6000 - 6500 RPMs with my first 2 runs with the Silencer. The without the silencer it made a SMOOTH line ALL THE FREAKING WAY TO THE LIMIT!!

SO THIS MOD REALLY DOES WORK!!!

I think my UNCORRECTED actual HP for the temps and conditions was 420 RWHP on this day. In 80 degree weather!!!

*******NOW IT GETS EVEN MORE INTERESTING**********

I go to leave the shop (all happy, BIG chubby going) and I drive up the street and the car STALLS between shifts. VERY DANGEROUS! So I took it right back. They reburned the DIABLO, check all the connections.. Still stalling. Could NOT find the problem. So they install a SUPERCHIP and did 2 more dyno runs. They only had the original SUPERCHIP program which does NOT make a smooth Air/Fuel Ratio and keep the car from running rich up top (unlike the Diablo). THE NUMBERS:

MaxPower was 393 RWHP both times!!! Thats UNCORRECTED! So I lost about 27 HP just from the better Diablo tune.

Well they think the Diablo Chip was bad and did not have another. SO they let me drive away with at least the SUPERCHIP. Supposed to pick up another Diablo in a week.

Thats like giving a crack whore a taste and telling her she can have the WHOLE BAG next week! UG!

------------------------------------------------

SOTP and IMPRESSIONS:

HOLEY F*&)(U$#*(HIUNJFKDY*&(&%(#* BATMAN.......

WoooooooooooooooooooWeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.......

That prolly says it all! Car WOKE UP! I could feel a BIG difference with the Diablo vs. the SUPERCHIP. But at about 395 ish RWHP right now, its a beast to me... If you pulley, traction will be is a BIG problem I already spin pretty bad anyway. Only got into it once so far. The exhuast is MUCH more noticable yet quiet for the most part when cruising. NO DRONE at 60 MPH, MUCH MUCH louder at 70 MPH. IN the 2000 RPM range the exhuast is louder! VERY VERY DEEP growl. When you stand on it she sounds VERY MEAN! Car sounds like it has some KAHUNA's now. And feels like it was given another cylinder (V9?).

HOPE THIS HELPS!

:beer:

Last edited:

KingKobra

Established Member
This is great... mainly because it's been arguable as to whether removing the silencer was doing more harm than good. Sounds like it's worth it. Nice Numbers.... where did you pick up the Cat-Back??? it's my NEXT mod!

JoeAsheville

Asheville NC-Bohemian Wonderland
Established Member
Thanks for the post with vs without silencer. I think quite a few of us were wondering (myself included) about the worth of that particular mod...while it's not worth much gain, it's not hurting anything. :beer:

Fast03Cobra

Established Member
KING: I see you are in NOVA. I grew up in Alexandria!!

I went to Springfield Motorsports in Newington.

I think it cost $500 or so plus installation. And its all Aluminized not stainless. which is fine. I dont eat off my exhaust system. At least not yet..

The 3" system is HUGE comparitively. Nice sound too. I wanted something not too loud but had more deep sound. Thats exactly what this produced.

Good luck.

Fast03Cobra

Established Member
No one's interested in these findings? Anyone else find the same?

I think the guy at Amazon Racing said the biggest problem with the snorkel or CAI or silencer is the turbulence caused by them. A straight system works great on these cars. As long as you can still get cold air. Hence POSTBAN's and Vaccaro's set-up!!!

With the silencer removed you get a much better air flow, less turbulence, but you still suck cold air from the fender... BEST MOD FOR THE MONEY $0.

Crusader

Established Member
Excellent Post

This is the post I've been looking for. Thanks Fast03. Now I think I'll take it back out again.

"I already spin pretty bad anyway." Yup, same problem I've been seeing. What do you think will help with that? 18" Rims? Street Slicks? What kind of rear tire? I've had to lower the RPMs on my launches to avoid this. Again, excellent post! CRZ8R.

Fast03Cobra

Established Member
Not sure how to hook up better. VERY much an amatuer in that department.

Tires, pressure, track, suspension... Its all a big myth to me.

Users who are viewing this thread