Dyno'd the car today - disturbing results

Dino S.

Established Member
Got my car Dyno'd today. Results have me a little upset. After 5K the car sounded like it was missing or dropping a cylinder. the dyno tech told me it sounded like the comptuer was pulling timing or I had spark blow out. let me know what you guys think.

TIA Dino

Cobra_Dyno_001.JPG

oldiron

Established Member
My dyno run looked very similiar, with the exception of that horrilbe breakup after 5k. Look very close at the ignition (plugs and wires to start). Numbers look encouraging up to that point.
Greg

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Probably need new coil packs. Try to get a shop to see if you computer is giving out codes.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
ignition, my 2 cents

I agree with oldiron. Check those plug wires, distrib. cap, and rotor first. (easiest to do it in a dark condition and you can see the spark jump if it is a wire). Then check plugs.
I have never heard of a O2 sensor failure that didn't give you a check engine light ( and cause it to run awful at all rpm's). But, you can check 'em with a ohm/volt meter. Usually bad coils will not allow the motor to run at all. I don't think it is "taking timing out".

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Looks like some charts that i have seen before. Have your IMRC's checked. But it could also be one of the things listed by the other posters too.

Dino S.

Established Member
If it was the IMRC wouldn't I be losing lots of power above 3250 not just above 5K?

Dino

Scream'nCobra

Cobra:No Substitute
Established Member
Dont the IMRC plates open up around 3250? Not sure, but i thought they did. Someone correct me? Im not too sure what went wrong in your dyno man, hope you get it worked out. I know there are a lot of good tuners in your area, so you may want to try that route and see what they can tell you. You can learn a lot from a dyno tune.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Yeah, they open around 3250, but the car wouldn't be missing the additional intake charge till about 4,000 to 4,500 rpm. wich is about where you start going all over the place on the Dyno.

Dino S.

Established Member
awesome, i'll look into it. I remember there were some instructions posted on this site a while back about how to check/clean them... anybody know where they are?

Users who are viewing this thread