Dynomax Catback installed

SonicBlue03

Established Member
This is what I've been waiting for, it finally sounds like a mustang. It drones a little between 1800 and 2000 rpms, but not too bad. I've only got one good sound clip with the new kit (see sig), if it stop's raining today, I might record a couple more.

SonicBlue03

Established Member
I put a couple of vids up. I tried using a laptop and sound editing software to try to get some good sounds, but the mic was too sensitive, all I got was distortion. So then I tried Postban's tried and true method, a trusty Sony Mavica (floppy disk kind). Worked like a champ.

As if the urge to drive the car wasn't bad enough before the new exhaust...

DynoMax Catback sounds

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by SonicBlue03
As if the urge to drive the car wasn't bad enough before the new exhaust...
Sounds great! I was thinking about mashing the throttle. hehehe.:thumbsup:

SonicBlue03

Established Member
They were $367 + s/h from Summit (PN 19314, for 99-01 Cobras). I used a 10% discount code to save 35 bucks, but I don't remember where I found it, I think I searched for it on the Corral or google.

The tips are 3", the same as the rest of the tubing, which is one of the reasons I really like this kit. Huge non-functional tips is one of my pet peaves.

Here's a pdf of the kit from DynoMax (first page):
http://www.dynomax.com/documents/passenger/ford.pdf

trmn8tr

Established Member
SonicBlue03
Is the whole exhaust system 3"? In the picture it looks like it slims down a little right before it bolts to the h-pipe or am I seeing things?

Lomancobra

Established Member
I was considering the Dynomax exhaust. Do you know how many ponies you picked up?
I think trmn8r is right, the pic does show some slimming at the end.
If you get the chance try to post some vids of the exhaust above 3000 rpms please. I want to get the full effect. :burnout:

SonicBlue03

Established Member
Correct, the kit does bottle down to the factory tubing (I used the factory h-pipe).

Using one of those G-tech gadgets, I figure I picked up just over 15 rwhp.

Sorry for the tame videos, I didn’t have my fuzzbuster with me and I just had the camera wedged between the window and the dash (my wife wasn’t the least bit interested in helping me create the videos). My first launch dropped the camera in my lap and I don’t think Yahoo appreciates videos with excessive profanity.

SonicBlue03

Established Member
It's aluminized and it’s definitely a 3" kit (except for where it connects to the stock pipes).

Jerryk

Halfshaft abuser
Established Member
I just added my Dynomax catback this w/e as well along w/ the new bassani catx. I love the sound at 4000 but the drone at 2000 sucks IMO. Otherwise it sounds great everywhere else.. :) I wonder how the Magnaflow does w/ the Bassani catx?

david smilovic

Established Member
I have heard three exhausts so far and IMHO the best all around muscle car sound is the Borla.No drone or resonance at any rpm even though I usually drive in 4 or5 gear 6 is less than 1% of the time.It sounds so GOOD who needs a stereo??? Dave S.
PS no HP gain on all tested 1 on Borla 2 lbs. Tqe./All others lost or stayed even and I consider the Borla even after 35 years I have realized you buy a Cat Back for sound pleasure.

Fast03Cobra

Established Member
You loose HP and TQ?

Thats weird! I should think that all these other Mustangs out there (Cobra R, Bullet, Saleen, etc) have aftermarket upgraded systems on them for SOUND ALONE? non-sense!

I thought the rule-of-thumb was 400+HP needed to go to a 3" pipe...

Users who are viewing this thread