E-mail tune or No tune - Which is safer?

scuzzdude2587

Established Member
I have an Xcal2, and I don't think my lightly modded Cobra is worth the $400+ for a nice dyno tune...I'm thinking about a $75-150 e-mail tune for hopefully like 5-10whp, but would it be better to just save the money for something else? I question the reliability/safety of the e-mail tune more than anything; I would be getting it from either RWTD or D'Agostino.

Thoughts?

NXGHOST

Established Member
Which is safer? Seriously...do you ned to ask? If an email tune is spot on it was luck. I would only use an email tune so I can drive the car to the dyno. Thats just me though.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
just wait for more mods and then do a dyno tune, but you can gain a lot from a dyno esp. if your car is running poorly

TERMIN8TR

Established Member
is the car "tuned" now? if not you're asking for trouble. There are quite a few very reputable tuners on this site, Amazon just to name one, that will build you a tune that will be nearly spot on. Certainly much better than nothing at all. I have personally seen numerous mail order tunes from Amazon, RWTD, Ford Racing and a couple others that were nearly perfect on the dyno.
You already have the XcalII so what's the problem?

****EDIT****

Yeah I just saw your mods, as posted above I would wait til you put a pulley on that car

Last edited:

95PGTTech

Established Member
is the car "tuned" now? if not you're asking for trouble. There are quite a few very reputable tuners on this site, Amazon just to name one, that will build you a tune that will be nearly spot on. Certainly much better than nothing at all. I have personally seen numerous mail order tunes from Amazon, RWTD, Ford Racing and a couple others that were nearly perfect on the dyno.
You already have the XcalII so what's the problem?

****EDIT****

Yeah I just saw your mods, as posted above I would wait til you put a pulley on that car

rofl read the forum section.

depends on who you go to - experienced tuners base their email tunes off previous dyno tunes - they compare what you have to cars they have already seen on the dyno and essentially give you someone else's dyno tune with slight modifications.

I've seen email tunes so close that they were driven to the dyno and nothing but speedo changes for gears were made. and some need slight tweaking. from a professional, who has experience working on your year and modifications, an email tune is 1000X better than no tune or a crappy sct pretune.

TERMIN8TR

Established Member
rofl read the forum section.

depends on who you go to - experienced tuners base their email tunes off previous dyno tunes - they compare what you have to cars they have already seen on the dyno and essentially give you someone else's dyno tune with slight modifications.

I've seen email tunes so close that they were driven to the dyno and nothing but speedo changes for gears were made. and some need slight tweaking. from a professional, who has experience working on your year and modifications, an email tune is 1000X better than no tune or a crappy sct pretune.

ROFL,

Isn't that EXACTLY what I just said? ROFL

scuzzdude2587

Established Member
ROFL,

Isn't that EXACTLY what I just said? ROFL

I think he was referring to your "wait until you put a pulley on the car" comment. We aren't all blessed with Termi motors :p

So consensus is to get a mail tune? $75 really is not much for 5-10 hp, has anyone actually seen someone's car get damaged from a mail tune? Also I'm going to need all the help I can get to get off the line come spring once the T-56 is in.

milktasd2

Established Member
I did an email tune with my Diablo chip(about 3 years ago) and it was crap. Sounded like a 302 with giant cam, ripped it out got a refund stayed with the stock tune until now. I have a Xcal 2 in the mail from MPH that has a safe tune to get me to them for a real dyno tune. MPH are some great people so far to me.

TERMIN8TR

Established Member
I think he was referring to your "wait until you put a pulley on the car" comment. We aren't all blessed with Termi motors :p

So consensus is to get a mail tune? $75 really is not much for 5-10 hp, has anyone actually seen someone's car get damaged from a mail tune? Also I'm going to need all the help I can get to get off the line come spring once the T-56 is in.

Yes, right, I'm sorry my oversight. (I'm a dumbass)

I would get a tune. turn off the 02 sensors if you have an o/r pipe, adjust fuel trims etc... there has to be gains for an n/a motor. I say yes

Users who are viewing this thread