E85 and plugs / gap

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
what is everyone running for plugs and gap??

So far Ive run

NGK TR6's @ .028 and .026 (Best results)

NGK br7ef's @ .026

I heard a little blowout during a burnout at the track over 6k rpms on both plugs and the car fell on its face over 6300rpms at the track and ran slower on back to back passes by about .05-.10 and 1mph with the 7s in it.

Alan (broke7) had a similar experience on the dyno switching from br7ef's to tr6's and picked up 20rwhp on a 700rwhp car (non E85).

Im guessing its bc the br7 doesnt protrude into the cylinder. I might try a tr7 or an autolite next.

DHGTerminator

aka The "Bullsnake"
Established Member
what is everyone running for plugs and gap??

So far Ive run

NGK TR6's @ .028 and .026 (Best results)

NGK br7ef's @ .026

I heard a little blowout during a burnout at the track over 6k rpms on both plugs and the car fell on its face over 6300rpms at the track and ran slower on back to back passes by about .05-.10 and 1mph with the 7s in it.

Alan (broke7) had a similar experience on the dyno switching from br7ef's to tr6's and picked up 20rwhp on a 700rwhp car (non E85).

Im guessing its bc the br7 doesnt protrude into the cylinder. I might try a tr7 or an autolite next.

I got a set of BR7EF's and was told to run them at .032 (pre-gap) by many sources. So this has me interested.. :read:

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
I had BR7s moved to TR6s @ .028 (19psi) and the car seems to run better. Jon Lund suggested a 1 step colder then stock plug as the E85 seems to work better with a bit hotter plug vs. gas/race fuels

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
I got a set of BR7EF's and was told to run them at .032 (pre-gap) by many sources. So this has me interested.. :read:

I would be willing to be your leaving power on the table.....I'd like to hear form more people!

Silver03Termi

Established Member
an engineer/race engine builder explained it to me like this: The tr6 is a one step colder plug than the stock plug. We run the tr6 because of the extra heat created by the extra boost. However, the e85 keeps the air charge cooler than gas, therefore, the br7ef (one step colder than tr6) is actually going to hinder the combustion process. Depending on the amount of boost, the stock plug might perform better than the tr6, in certain situations with e85.

Now that you guys have seen some results that support this theory, i believe it.

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
an engineer/race engine builder explained it to me like this: The tr6 is a one step colder plug than the stock plug. We run the tr6 because of the extra heat created by the extra boost. However, the e85 keeps the air charge cooler than gas, therefore, the br7ef (one step colder than tr6) is actually going to hinder the combustion process. Depending on the amount of boost, the stock plug might perform better than the tr6, in certain situations with e85.

Now that you guys have seen some results that support this theory, i believe it.

exactly our thoughts when I talked about it with some others. the ethanol deff wants a hotter plug

c_mart_28

Established Member
I am running tr6's gapped at .25. My tune is maybe a bit rich at wot (11.2-3) and they seem to do a bit better job not missing a beat after a sustained pull. Might be specific to my application though.

Jrock909

Established Member
My lightning seems to be running just fine with the BR7EF's gapped at .030 are the TR6's preferred with the corn fuel though, how many of you are running the BR7EF's with good results...?

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
My lightning seems to be running just fine with the BR7EF's gapped at .030 are the TR6's preferred with the corn fuel though, how many of you are running the BR7EF's with good results...?

Well it should run fine. But there is a big difference between the 2 plugs. 1 is obviously the heat range which we all know. 2nd is the br7 had a much shorter tip and doesn't go into the chamber as much.

No one should "notice" anything different with everyday driving. I'd like to see a few others test them on the Dyno though. Broke7 lost 20whp by just switching the plugs on a built motor making 24(?) psi. I swapped mine at the track between passes and picked up almost a tenth and 1mph.

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
I'm running BR7EFs gapped right out of the box.

ever tried tr6s?

If someone could get a few pulls on a dyno I'd love to see someone running their br7s and swap in some tr6s...for just one more comparison.

yfzkevin

Established Member
I am running the NGK br7ef's @ .025, I think thats what it was when it came out of the box. It was either .025 or .024. I think I feel it starting to break up/ fall on its face near the top of the rpm range. The car use to run really good with the plug. I put new OEM coil packs in the car because I was using a buddies pair because mine went out. So I used his while I was waiting for my new set. I got the new set it and it seemed to run great, now it seems like it wants to fall on its face and miss at the top of the rpms

yfzkevin

Established Member
I think I might go and get a set of tr6 and see how they run. Should I still run my gap at .024/.025"? My mods are in my sig.

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
I think I might go and get a set of tr6 and see how they run. Should I still run my gap at .024/.025"? My mods are in my sig.

sounds like how my car was acting on the br7s. try them and let us know....same gap

Users who are viewing this thread