E85 conversion input: advice needed

03slobra2

POSI "race"port FTW
Established Member
I am going to switch over to E85, and I want to make sure I have my fuel issues covered the first go around. I don't want to jump into this and find out I didn't get something that flowed enough etc etc...

Here is the mods list.

POSI ported eaton TB/PL #'s in sig
2.8 upper/4# lower (19 psi)
JLT RAI
Kooks long tubes 1 5/8 primary 3" collector off road X to high flow one chamber muffs and dumps before the axle
NX wet kit jetted 150.

I am working with a semi-local friend on what to put together just looking for anyone that has done something like this and what is to be expected/needed.

Plans, sumpted v6/GT fuel tank, -8 feed/-6 return (into the sump)
Injectors were not sure on. Fuel pump I am not sure on. Timing is going to be 23-25*

This is going to be run though a auto with a 3800-4400 stall and juice out of the hole.

Input greatly appriciated and as the build starts I will update with pics of progress with dyno numbers when done.

Thanks guys

:beer:

Last edited:

03slobra2

POSI "race"port FTW
Established Member
60's will work but why not 80's for future upgrades.
Use twin Bosch 044 pumps.

I was told that 60's was no where near enough injector for E85... based on the need to move 30% more fuel I would assume 80's at minimum and been leaning towards 105's.

If someone has a better set up idea that what I am thinking let me know, keep in mind I am trying to do this on the most budget minded deal possible.

GodStang

Established Member
80s are good till 800+rwhp on E85. Has been done before. I would do -8an Feed and return. Pumps either GSS342s or Aeromotive Stealth.

03slobra2

POSI "race"port FTW
Established Member

dan03mach

BUSTN YO A$$
Established Member
80s are good till 800+rwhp on E85. Has been done before. I would do -8an Feed and return. Pumps either GSS342s or Aeromotive Stealth.

I run 80's and Thru a TH400 my injectors were maxed out at 650rwhp with a 55psi base pressure. The TH400 robs about 100rwhp over the T56 I had though.

GodStang

Established Member
I run 80's and Thru a TH400 my injectors were maxed out at 650rwhp with a 55psi base pressure. The TH400 robs about 100rwhp over the T56 I had though.

Missed that it was an auto. 800+ was on 6-speed. You can turn your base pressure up past 55psi.

03slobra2

POSI "race"port FTW
Established Member
Missed that it was an auto. 800+ was on 6-speed. You can turn your base pressure up past 55psi.

So 80's will be fine? I am not changing any the boost set up... just the 19PSI I am running now.

Can I get away with just throwing say twin SVT focus pumps in the tank?

or would it be better is I just go return and forget about it?

dan03mach

BUSTN YO A$$
Established Member
Yes I have a return style fuel system. I won't have that stock style returnless fuel system and try to make high hp. Too much stuff in the way that could fail and cost you a motor.

Adandos

You're generally going to need around 38% more flow on E85 compared to gasoline ....

This is an old article I wrote on the topic of using our horsepower calculator for E85 Conversions

The videos are about a year old and show the old ghetto way of doing the calculations (Back before we fully supported E85) ...

The way the calculator is setup right now you can choose your fuel mix from any percentage of any 12 different fuels (gasoline, E85, Ethanol, Methanol, Avgas...etc) and then it will take care of doing power factor corrections and full fuel supply system calculations:

Pump, feed and return lines, Injectors ...etc

Here's a screen shot of part of the new Octane Center I'm talking about

octanecenter.png

Of course you can run scenarios for your current and future power levels so you can size things for right now, or leave a bit of headroom in there for your setup to grow.

Users who are viewing this thread