e85 conversion

kcshelby

Established Member
I am curious. What is needed to convert to e85?. I live in the Midwest so lots of that gas around.
Thanks

TORQJNKY

Boost a pump and bigger injectors and tune, that's it. I run ID1300 injectors with a Competition KB Boost a pump. I also found that the stock fuel filter becomes a flow restriction at around 850RWHP on E85 so I went with a Canton Racing high flow filter as well.

T3RMIN8TOR

Established Member
Boost a pump and bigger injectors and tune, that's it. I run ID1300 injectors with a Competition KB Boost a pump. I also found that the stock fuel filter becomes a flow restriction at around 850RWHP on E85 so I went with a Canton Racing high flow filter as well.

I am considering this mod as well. What about fuel rails, and return fuel system? How much additional HP would you guess that I would get with E85 with my current mods listed in my signature?

Thanks,
Rob

TORQJNKY

Craig what are your latest 0-60 and quarter mile times.

My car hasn't been on the track. Maybe this year once I get it done.

I am considering this mod as well. What about fuel rails, and return fuel system? How much additional HP would you guess that I would get with E85 with my current mods listed in my signature?

Thanks,
Rob

Hey Rob, The stock fuel system with a COMP BAP and injectors is good to around 850RWHP on E85 and around 1000RWHP on a conventional race fuel. To make over 850RWHP on E85 you really need to go to a return fuel type set up. Once you go return, your power potential increases exponentially depending on how much fuel you can move with bigger or more fuel pumps. That's the point I'm at right now. Here is a thread I started a couple of weeks ago.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...system-delima-what-do-you-guys-recommend.html

I'd say you were at about 680RWHP right now with your mods? On E85 (including injectors and BAP), I'd say you could probably make an additional 30-50RWHP. You can run more timing because you have little chance of detonation with E85 and you get cooler running cylinder temps. Throw a 10 or 15% lower on there and hold on!

Last edited:

BIRDDOC

Established Member

Hey Rob, The stock fuel system with a COMP BAP and injectors is good to around 850RWHP on E85 and around 1000RWHP on a conventional race fuel. To make over 850RWHP on E85 you really need to go to a return fuel type set up. Once you go return, your power potential increases exponentially depending on how much fuel you can move with bigger or more fuel pumps. That's the point I'm at right now. Here is a thread I started a couple of weeks ago.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...system-delima-what-do-you-guys-recommend.html

I'd say you were at about 680RWHP right now with your mods? On E85 (including injectors and BAP), I'd say you could probably make an additional 30-50RWHP. You can run more timing because you have little chance of detonation with E85 and you get cooler running cylinder temps. Throw a 10 or 15% lower on there and hold on!

+1 (Great info here!)

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I am curious. What is needed to convert to e85?. I live in the Midwest so lots of that gas around.
Thanks

Great info above, can't say it better.
Several members here have excellent results in our cars (torqjnky, birddoc, mach330) and I will be putting my car on E85 soon too.
I would expect about 30rwhp, even more rwtq and cooler running temps/less heat soak.
Obviously your mpg and fill-up interval will take a serious shot, but that's the trade off.
I have 3 stations within 10 miles that have fresh supplies and test well plus I only pleasure drive it, so its a no brainer for me. :burnout:

How much power do you currently make? mod list?
You will get the benefits even with mild mods, may only need a tune and BAP if mild mods.
Good luck and let us know if you do.
-J
:beer:

T3RMIN8TOR

Established Member

Thanks for the informative write up Torqjnky. E85 FTW!:rockon:

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
You don't have to run e85 all the time though right? Just load a 93 tune until you want to fill up with E85 and vice versa?

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Yes but that is slightly annoying. A flex fuel sensor or flip chip capability would be nice.
-J

mach330

Established Member
Great info above, can't say it better.
Several members here have excellent results in our cars (torqjnky, birddoc, mach330) and I will be putting my car on E85 soon too.
I would expect about 30rwhp, even more rwtq and cooler running temps/less heat soak.
Obviously your mpg and fill-up interval will take a serious shot, but that's the trade off.

My results on a stock '13 with a FRPP dual 65 and a conservative dyno...

93oct E0 "stock" tune - 603rwhp
E85 "stock" tune - 670rwhp
E85 "race" tune - 690rwhp

With my current mods, 191.0mph in the standing mile. The results speak for themselves, ethanol is a great fuel. There are ways around the loss in mileage, just depends how much effort you want to put into it.

mach330

Established Member
You don't have to run e85 all the time though right? Just load a 93 tune until you want to fill up with E85 and vice versa?

You can switch back and forth as long as the tank is pretty close to empty. It's not a big deal, I do it all the time.

TORQJNKY

Do you swap tunes in some other way than reflashing everytime with a handheld?

I have three tunes on my handheld.

1. 93 Octane
2. E85
3. Tank Drain (turns fuel pumps on when you turn the ignition on)

I run E85 primarily. I have a 93 Octane tune if I get caught somewhere without E85 available or if I go on a longer drive.

To switch from E85 to 93 is no biggie. Just make sure the tank is down around 1/8 or less, re-flash the ECU with your handheld and fill it up. Going from E85 to 93 is not as critical in my mind as switching from 93 to E85, but I will still try not to have too much E85 in the tank when making the switch.

Switching from 93 to E85 is a little different. Some may just run the 93 down as much as then can then re-flash the ECU and fill up with E85. I'm a little more anal about it. I always want to get as much of the 93 out of the tank as possible. To do the switch, I disconnect the fuel line at the fuel rail on the drivers side then connect a spare OEM fuel filter I have to the fuel line. Then I attach a piece of rubber fuel line to the other end of the fuel filter and run it into an empty gas jug. I only use the fuel filter because it connects right to the quick connect fitting on the fuel line and it gives me a means to make an extension hose from the fuel line at the rail. Once I have that set up, I will re-flash the ECU with the Tank Drain tune and cycle the ignition while watching the fuel jug until the tank is empty. You will have to cycle it a few times and listen to the fuel pumps to start sucking air then turn off the ignition. Once the tank is as empty as you can get it, reconnect your fuel line, re-flash your ECU with your E85 tune and fill it up. I will even burn about 5 gallons of E85 just normal driving before a do any spirited driving, but that's just me.

[youtube_browser]y6pI13v7808[/youtube_browser]

mach330

Established Member
I have three tunes on my handheld.

1. 93 Octane
2. E85
3. Tank Drain (turns fuel pumps on when you turn the ignition on)

I run E85 primarily. I have a 93 Octane tune if I get caught somewhere without E85 available or if I go on a longer drive.

To switch from E85 to 93 is no biggie. Just make sure the tank is down around 1/8 or less, re-flash the ECU with your handheld and fill it up. Going from E85 to 93 is not as critical in my mind as switching from 93 to E85, but I will still try not to have too much E85 in the tank when making the switch.

Switching from 93 to E85 is a little different. Some may just run the 93 down as much as then can then re-flash the ECU and fill up with E85. I'm a little more anal about it. I always want to get as much of the 93 out of the tank as possible. To do the switch, I disconnect the fuel line at the fuel rail on the drivers side then connect a spare OEM fuel filter I have to the fuel line. Then I attach a piece of rubber fuel line to the other end of the fuel filter and run it into an empty gas jug. I only use the fuel filter because it connects right to the quick connect fitting on the fuel line and it gives me a means to make an extension hose from the fuel line at the rail. Once I have that set up, I will re-flash the ECU with the Tank Drain tune and cycle the ignition while watching the fuel jug until the tank is empty. You will have to cycle it a few times and listen to the fuel pumps to start sucking air then turn off the ignition. Once the tank is as empty as you can get it, reconnect your fuel line, re-flash your ECU with your E85 tune and fill it up. I will even burn about 5 gallons of E85 just normal driving before a do any spirited driving, but that's just me.

[youtube_browser]y6pI13v7808[/youtube_browser]

Going E85 to 93... I fill the tank with 93 and idle the car for 30sec, then turn off and flash the 93 tune. This will clear the lines of E85. May run super rich for a second, not a big deal IMO.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
I agree, A flip chip would be so much nicer. Is there a way this can be done? Have the different tunes stored in the car somewhere and make them selectable so I don't have to carry a tuner and reflash? When buying a tune from one of the companies on this board, do you generally get 3 tunes or are there additional costs for every tune you want stored in the handheld?

TORQJNKY

I agree, A flip chip would be so much nicer. Is there a way this can be done? Have the different tunes stored in the car somewhere and make them selectable so I don't have to carry a tuner and reflash? When buying a tune from one of the companies on this board, do you generally get 3 tunes or are there additional costs for every tune you want stored in the handheld?

SCT doesn't make a flip chip for our cars, I've already looked into it. I think you only get one tune that fits the mod package you buy.

nxhappy

Established Member
I have a e85 station VERY close to my home, and I would rather run e85 because in CA we don't have 93 at the pump. And e85 is cheap.

What would I need to make the e85 safe in my 07, with a TVS, 2.4 upper, and TB? My car is completely stock at the moment. Obviously it would need to be tuned for e85, but what else?

Users who are viewing this thread