E85 on a stock eaton?

Torched_03

Stock!
Established Member
Looking to swap to e85. 6# lower truck with the C&L intake and filter. I have a 2600SCT Maf, 50# inj's just laying around. Will the stock pumps support e85 or will I need 255's? Anybody else done the e85 swap?

02SILVERBULLET

horsepower addict
Established Member
There seems to have been mixed reviews in regards to switching to e85, some gave claimed issues but most say all if good. My experience is with a built motor 13psi 60's and 255's it didnt have enough fuel by 4500 rpm, and 80lb injectors only got me another 200 rpm before fuel pressure fell off with stock lines and rails. but i have a built motor and cams so i require more fuel. My same tuner did another truck and with 60's and 255's on a 2.3 whipple he made some great and safe numbers. with about the flattest fuel curve i have ever seen. IIRC his screen name is like vjay88 or something. Next month i plan in installing a fuel system and trying again, I picked up a fore hat and just got dual pumps of the new aeromotive 340lph pumps, still need to get lines, filter, rails and a regulator.

02SILVERBULLET

horsepower addict
Established Member
I heard that e85 eats up our stock fuel lines...? not sure how valid this is, just throwing it out there.

I have heard both ends of the spectrum, that it is total BS, or that people have had issues with seeping and failing lines but there is too many variables to know for sure. The remaining 15% gasoline in e85 should keep corrosion away and things lubed. But I do know this is not a fuel you want sitting in your tank for an extended period of time. The ethanol part of the fuel absorbs water, that is why it is corrosive not because of the fuel itself as i have been informed. so keeping a full tank and having a proper fuel cap and working evap system will help keep water out of the system.

junioRace

Established Member
I have been running e85 in mine for over a year now. I did add 60# injectors and 255 pumps at the discretion of the tuner...just to be safe as e85 requires as much as 25-30% more fuel. Just by adding the injectors and pumps, and a tune revision of course, I picked up 25hp/8#tq. Timing was bumped up by 4* over my 93 octane tune. e85 will NOT damage anything in your fuel system...EXCEPT..you should switch from the original paper style element to an aftermarket stainless steel unit. Everything else is cool. I enjoy running around with no concern about detonation.

99 KB-R

Established Member
Interesting. subscribing I was told the 60# injectors would be good til about 500hp and i would definately get the dual 255's if you don't already have them.

junioRace

Established Member
I'm sure I could go well above 500hp (I'll know just as soon as I get my whipple bolted on...lol) with the 60# injectors. At 463 I am no where near out of injector. I have personally seen a 3.4 whipple on e85 pushed to 740/720 on 18#s of boost with twin 255's. He was running 80# injectors.

99 KB-R

Established Member
I'm sure I could go well above 500hp (I'll know just as soon as I get my whipple bolted on...lol) with the 60# injectors. At 463 I am no where near out of injector. I have personally seen a 3.4 whipple on e85 pushed to 740/720 on 18#s of boost with twin 255's. He was running 80# injectors.

Don't forget you will be adding 25-30% more fuel for the e85 tune, so even if you weren't close to the edge you will definatly be closer. And i think I was mistaken i think it was my 52lbs that were good to 500 and 60's are good to 600 on e85.

C9A1L1L

CALL EM!
Established Member
The stock fuel system will support just about anything a stock block Eaton setup can throw out. Including a 6# lower. You'll be fine with the 50lbers.

hurley383

Established Member

Vjay88 has a whipple 2.3 80 pound injectors and twin walbros made 520/602 on a dynojet and 460/520 on mustang dyno almost out of injector.

C9A1L1L

CALL EM!
Established Member
You shouldn't be out of injector at that power level...

Damn that motor is thirsty as hell.. I wonder just how much that whipple is pulling in at 16lbs, that's a lot of air!

Last edited:

02SILVERBULLET

horsepower addict
Established Member
You shouldn't be out of injector at that power level...

Damn that motor is thirsty as hell.. I wonder just how much that whipple is pulling in at 16lbs, that's a lot of air!

like I said, maxed 80's and 255's could not keep up at a measley 15 psi, I was loosing fuel pressure by 4700rpm i was out of fuel volume.
all soon to change. :rolling:

some of the e-85 gt500's are using 150+ lb/hr injectors... food for thought

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread