E85 Testing

papajoewill

Established Member
Hey boys and girls,

Today I was able to go to two different pumps that have E85 and I tested the fuel. I tried the test a week ago but the results are inconclusive as I messed something up. I redid the test and have the photos to go along with it.

If you have seen my other thread where the topic of E85 came up, well you guessed it, my uncle still hates the idea and is adamant I will "blow it up because he's heard x and y from his friends" but its my car and my build so here we are ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

After a little bit of time to do my research, I plan on finding a tuner that can tune for both pump gas as well as E85. I will hopefully be running E85 around town and then have the other tune for trips if need be.

Now on to the tests, pump #1 was from a very new Gate station downtown. The color is a little more green in the upper portion of the mix compared to the second sample and I feel like that could be the gasoline mix but I'm no fuel expert. It tested right above the 85% ethanol content line so that made me feel good. Very clear and clean otherwise.

Test #2 was also from a Gate station however it was down on Blanding in Orange Park. I believe my camera angle for this photo was more consistent with eye level viewing and a more accurate reading than the first sample photo. The top portion of that was much more clear and also tested well percentage wise for ethanol content.

I'm curious to see if the blend changes at all going into the fall however I plan to check up on the ethanol content before I'm done.

I believe I will get some ID1300x or FIC1200 injectors and I already purchased a triple pump return style system from a lovely member on the forums here. Not sure if I will change out the pumps before the install but excited to put it in.

The motor is out of the car and just about ready to go to the builder. We just need to fab up a brace to keep it safe on the trip. Bonus pic included.

After following PNWSVT's build thread I have taken a lot of what guys have said into consideration and plan on doing mine right. I really appreciate the time you all take to comment and leave advice. It means a lot to me and I'm sure other guys on here.

I hope everyone has a great Friday tomorrow and weekend too :beer:

Be safe,

Joe

papajoewill

Established Member
Samples here. Bonus pic of my pulled motor.

Attachments

• Sample#1.jpg
    Sample#1.jpg
    373 KB · Views: 242
  • Sample#2.jpg
    Sample#2.jpg
    360.1 KB · Views: 278
  • IMG_4409.jpg
    IMG_4409.jpg
    683 KB · Views: 310

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Both those tests look good, you will be fine running that and getting tuned. Just keep testing every time you fill up, especially that tank when you start working with the tuner, they'll need to know. No problem running ethanol long term, my car is on year 9..... a-ok, no issues.

cj428mach

Established Member
One reason i like keeping a drum of e85 in the garage. If my drum is full of e85 and i pick up 5 gal that tests e70 i just dump it in my drum and then fill my car out of the drum. I have 1 station thats consistent e85 summer and e70 in the winter. What comes out of my barrel is usually e78, its been that way for a long time now.

BLOWN9646

E85 COBRA
Established Member
What the hell is that black shit on the bottom!? E85 from BP here is not like that, it's pretty clean

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Ah, yea that makes sense. The top tape I knew, but bottom looked like soot

Ya it was hard to see that until I blew the photo up.

I use a syringe and some aquarium hose to fill the tube with the water and sample, makes it easy to control and fill. Funny thing is, I still have the same, cheap, disposable syringe and hose now for seven years. So, so much for ethanol "eating" plastic. The syringe and its gasket still seal no problem.

As far as the color difference between those 2 samples.....I have seen it both ways. Totally clear with the separation line at one station.....then another station the top portion will appear golden. Neither way has affected the way the car runs or what my plugs and fuel filter look like. Always spotless. I think it's just slight differences in the gasoline portion of the ethanol the way the refinery produced it.

Now, the time to panic, is if you get a sample in your tube that's very cloudy, and has none distinct separation line or lines even.....that is junk ethanol, most likely contaminated, do not fill up with that. I saw this one time in seven years at a station that typically tested great....I went inside, bitched at the counter with my sample.....they immediately went outside and bagged all their E85 pumps. It stayed that way for 4 days.....I went back a week later and it tested fine again.

Users who are viewing this thread