E85 whats needed

F8L SN8K

Established Member
What would I need to convert my car to E85? It currently sports a 2.2(21#s) Kenne bell, 60# injectors, a Boost a Pump and a Diablosport MAFia.(of course I have the other mods like full Bassani O/R exhaust, single blade TB, JLT RAI, brakes, drivetrain.....blah blah blah)

Will the 60# and BAP going to be sufficient enough? What other items will I need other then a retune? Been wanting to make the switch for a little while. I checked out E85mustang.com however they dont have it posted what all needs switched. Although the yellow mustang on there with 660rwhp is running 60# injectors which is should be in the neighbor hood I would be at.

Any Input would be great.

Thanks in advance

99MystiC

Established Member
I would also recommend the Ford GT dual pumps. For e85 your engine is going to need alot more of it than with fuel. After that you should be good, just a tune.

Fat-cat

Established Member
that and i hear you have to change fuel filters more often... I wish we had it up here :(

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
that and i hear you have to change fuel filters more often... I wish we had it up here :(
Actually you don't. I thought so to until I started running it and speaking with other who have been running it for years.

If you PM 04sleeper (Kevin) he will help you out.
No need to now I'm here! LOL

You will need 80# injectors for sure and if you are still running the stock pump the you will need 2 GT pumps and either a modded FPDM or Dual FPDM's along WITH the BAP.

This is what I have with my Whipple @ 20 psi and skaarew04SVT has as well and he is running 21-22 psi on his Whipple. We have enough with this set up but if you MUST run the bigger injectors and pumps at mininum.

Or you can run a return fuel system if you want to.

That is all that is needed along with a retune.

F8L SN8K

Established Member
Thanks alot guys. I figured I was going to have to upgrade the pumps. damn... LOL I hate dropping tanks.

I figured the 60s was going to be on the edge also.

Still not to bad. 80lb from FRPP is only $420.

04 what kind of HP you guys putting down with your guys whipples?

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Thanks alot guys. I figured I was going to have to upgrade the pumps. damn... LOL I hate dropping tanks.

I figured the 60s was going to be on the edge also.

Still not to bad. 80lb from FRPP is only $420.

04 what kind of HP you guys putting down with your guys whipples?
700 RWHP with just an upper pulley, stock lower, stock MAF w/ MAFIa, stock intake tube w/ 10" filter, stock headers, X-pipe w/ cats.

I bought my injectors from Steve @ Tousley Ford for $385+ shipping. He is a vendor on here and is Great!!!! :thumbsup:
Tousley Ford: Full line Ford, Lincoln, Mercury and Ford Racing Distributors. - SVTPerformance

serper3

Established Member
hey guys i know this thread is a couple of weeks old and i dont mean to hijack it, but i want to get a twin screw and run e85.. do you guys run e85 all the time? or can you switch pulley run less boost and use regular gas with the big injectors and stuff? i think if this is possible, i would really be interested in doing it... maybe run two tanks? there are a couple people around here running e85 on other cars and they get excellent results from it.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
I run E85 100% of the time. There are 6 gas stations near me so it's not a problem getting it.

If you want to run regular gas, it would be as easy as either running a flip switch chip, or loading in a new tune on your Xcal.

A friend of mine runs a Twin Turbo 97 Cobra with 2 tanks. He runs 87 Octane in the stock tank and runs the stock injectors and tune. Then he has another fuel cell in the trunk with E85 and runs it off a Hobbs switch. When the car sees boost, it switches over to the E85 system and he runs 2 sets of 60 LB injectors in a custom intanke that he made. It's a pretty slick set up!

3985092425_519aaf1792_o.jpg

Look how many injectors he runs! LOL.. 24 total!
3985092783_c685353ece_o.jpg

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
^^^That`s cool as heck right there.
I agree. He's from South Florida as well. This is Jake's car from Power By The Hour. He is the owner/builder of this beast!

Just in case you are wondering how it runs.

Here is an easy run on 17-18 psi on stock rims and 275-40-17 Nitto's.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRJh4GJwtwg"]YouTube- green97[/ame]

serper3

Established Member
that's awesome!! The auxillary tank with all the inectors is really cool but I think its too much for me :) we have a couple e85 stations here... but I wouldn't be able to even drive to the track and back without bringing tanks of e85. This way.. I can at least bring e85 with me or w.e but swap pullies at the track and fill up with pump gas for the ride home.. just even around town, I guess most of the time the car would see pump gas unless I am messing around or going to the track...I just feel like if I am getting injectors fuel pump I might as well get bigger injectors two gt fuel pumps and tune for the e85 so I can run smaller pulley and more boost. Just out of curiousity, how much more power roughly will I see with a whipple e85 combo?

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Just out of curiousity, how much more power roughly will I see with a whipple e85 combo?
Here is a comparison of a friends car that switched over from 100 Octane to E85.
Specs:
STOCK block, stock heads, stock cams, stock manifolds, catted X
2.3 whipple gen 2 @ 21-22 psi 2.75 upper only (just a little whipple), NGK Br7efs gapped@ .026
Twin GT pumps, GT 500 BAP, dual FPDMs, stock rails, -8 feed, 80 ln inj
24 degrees timing (yes it continues to gain more beyond 23 degrees)
A/F ratio pre-cats 10.9 - 11.3

E85 ----------SAE 704.8/655 rwtq
---------------STD 719/668
100 oct------SAE 626/579 (21-22 psi, 21 deg)

serper3

Established Member
Here is a comparison of a friends car that switched over from 100 Octane to E85.
Specs:
STOCK block, stock heads, stock cams, stock manifolds, catted X
2.3 whipple gen 2 @ 21-22 psi 2.75 upper only (just a little whipple), NGK Br7efs gapped@ .026
Twin GT pumps, GT 500 BAP, dual FPDMs, stock rails, -8 feed, 80 ln inj
24 degrees timing (yes it continues to gain more beyond 23 degrees)
A/F ratio pre-cats 10.9 - 11.3

E85 ----------SAE 704.8/655 rwtq
---------------STD 719/668
100 oct------SAE 626/579 (21-22 psi, 21 deg)

:banana:
yea thats what i want! lol. so, you mention 21-22 psi, he doesnt increase the boost on the e85 tune? only getting the more power because of the timing? i thought i would have to do a pulley swap to really gain more power since that would be were you see more boost... shoot, if i could see even in the high 600 whp on e85, i think that would be awesome and since i have it around here, its almost like a no brainer... the cost vs hp benefit... :beer:

utfan98

Lack of Restraint
Established Member
How much more fuel do you use is the question. With "normal" driving conditions for my Cobra, I see about 200-220 mile per stock tank. I heard with E85 its would be around 160-180/tank.

I know Lidio (national known turner he in MI) was one of the first to do E85 on his Mach. After a few months, he felt the benefit does not out-weight the headache. We have a ton of E85 stations, nearly on every other street corner in the metro Detroit area. The test is trying to find E85 in other areas (i.e. like going to Milan Dragway) where you do not want to be running a full tank at the track, but need fuel to get 40-60 miles there and home. I belive he ran out of E85 comig home from Cedar Point because he could not find a station, that was the straw.

Yes, you can get some E85 in a jug...PITA...or I like the other set up with 2 different tanks, one with E85. Definately see a HP gain though, I guess it's all about what you want. As far as the costs, it depends on how hard and far you drive you car and how long you will have E85, just like Nitrous.

The idea of built motor sounds better to me (esp with cams LOL) and you can drive out of your neighborhood.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
:banana:
yea thats what i want! lol. so, you mention 21-22 psi, he doesnt increase the boost on the e85 tune? only getting the more power because of the timing? i thought i would have to do a pulley swap to really gain more power since that would be were you see more boost... shoot, if i could see even in the high 600 whp on e85, i think that would be awesome and since i have it around here, its almost like a no brainer... the cost vs hp benefit... :beer:
Well, the timing and the cooling effects is where the HP comes from. He was already paying $6 per gallon for the 100 Octane anyway so that's why he kept the same boost.

How much more fuel do you use is the question. With "normal" driving conditions for my Cobra, I see about 200-220 mile per stock tank. I heard with E85 its would be around 160-180/tank.

I know Lidio (national known turner he in MI) was one of the first to do E85 on his Mach. After a few months, he felt the benefit does not out-weight the headache. We have a ton of E85 stations, nearly on every other street corner in the metro Detroit area. The test is trying to find E85 in other areas (i.e. like going to Milan Dragway) where you do not want to be running a full tank at the track, but need fuel to get 40-60 miles there and home. I belive he ran out of E85 comig home from Cedar Point because he could not find a station, that was the straw.

Yes, you can get some E85 in a jug...PITA...or I like the other set up with 2 different tanks, one with E85.

The idea of built motor sounds better to me, and you can drive furthur than your neighborhood.
Your mileage will go down but you must have one hell of a neighborhood. 160-180 miles is a long way to drive out of a neighborhood!

All kidding aside. What don't you understand about the benefit? We are comparing E85 @ $2 per gallon that performs better than C16 race gas @ $11-$14 per gallon. Without the side effects of C16. Like killing your O2 sensors and your wallet!

For a blown Cobra you are running around with a tune/boost level that gets you close to the limit of regular pump gas. You gain ZERO cooling effect with pump gas as well. Just the saftey margin of the 105 Octane alone outweighs running regular Dino Gas. I guess you don't like Horsepoer then? :shrug: Or having a saftey margin to keep your engine alive longer? :shrug: Or being able to make more than 1 pass without worring about heatsoak? :shrug:
The list goes on and on!

I'm sorry but if you have E85 at that many locations and are not running it in your boosted Cobra then you are crazy! Either that or you have stock in oil or support the Middle East.

And lets just say you can't find a gas station with E85, then just get a flip chip or carry your tuner with you. Flip over to the gasoline tune while pumping. The you don't have to EVER worry about running out of gas.

If you run out of gas running E85 then your dumb. Sorry. There's no excuse. It's just like running out of gas with gasoline. It's the same thing. Piss poor planning. Sounds like an excuse to me. And you know what they say about excuses.

It's OK. Keep running your Fossil Fuel and making no power with no octane and I'll keep running my Corn making more power and high octane.

Oh, I'm burning cleaner and helping the enviorment too. :burnout:

Cheers. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread