E85 winter blends, myth or fact?

BOSSPOWER

Established Member
Hi guys,

Been checking the E85 from mid November and just checked it this morning, everything looks kosher to me. Are the winter blends a myth or not?

FD8FB99C-E03B-40CD-AD8E-77506A631E10_zpsquak2bwx.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Merry Christmas,

Manuel

Last edited:

ThomasL

Established Member
Thought i remember hearing that the winter blend makes it's way down to Florida in January? I know some of the Tampa guys here have stated we do indeed get a winter blend.

BOSSPOWER

Established Member
Thought i remember hearing that the winter blend makes it's way down to Florida in January? I know some of the Tampa guys here have stated we do indeed get a winter blend.

Hope this is a myth for us in the sunshine state brother!

VFORCEJOHN

Established Member
You should be asking for "winter month gas"

in the summer, there are additives placed into the fuel to decrease the volatility of the fuel and raise it's RVP (this makes it change from liquid to gas at a higher temp). #1 so it doesn't change to vapor fast if temps get over 100*, and #2 easier to control and reduces your fuel mileage so you buy more gas.

winter gas is supposed to be "pure gas" without the additive. this helps cold gas vaporize a little faster increasing combustion (decreased RVP). This gas also expands during transport faster. So if they load a tanker with 8000 gallons of gas @ 52* and it's 75* out, you'll end up with about 8100 gallons, or 100 gallons of Invisible gas.

I get asked this all the time. I own 3 Interstate Gas stations on I-81 in Eastern PA. Winter gas is better than summer gas. not many realize this.

IT's also regulated by the feds. so pretty much everyone gets this in the cold weather belt.

Users who are viewing this thread