Eagle F1s

SNMUSTANG

Established Member
I'm disgusted that my F-1s are already toast after 17,000 miles. I rotate every 5k, I get in the boost only when challenged and I'm selective about that. I check my pressure every week. I keep pressure at 32 and the outside tread is almost bare.
I have inspection next month and I'll need new tires. Not gonna buy Eagles for sure, and I'd appreciate your input.

YoungJim

Established Member
Which tires are worn on the outside? If your tires are wearing unevenly its usually an indication that something is out of rig with your suspension. FWIW mine only lasted.. yeah, about that (25k kilometers) and got replaced w/ BFG KDWs that I'm so far happy with. Similar performance for 2/3 the money. I took care of mine the same way, too, I guess some things aren't made to last!

SNMUSTANG

Established Member
All 4 F1s are worn more than they should be at 17k.
BFG has good reviews as does Nitto. Right now I'm looking at BFG.
I'd like some insight from other Cobra owners.

99 KOBRA

Speed Racer
Established Member
Are these F1s you are talking about the G3 D3s? I have G3 D3s and really like them.

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
SNMUSTANG said:
I'm disgusted that my F-1s are already toast after 17,000 miles.

Don't be disgusted! This is a good thing!!

Look on the bright side. It's an excuse to finally get rid of those crappy stock F1's and get better tires.

sedanman

Established Member
I manage a tire store and 17,000 miles isn't to bad. I strongly suggest Bfgoodrich KDW's I run them on mine (I have 18" saleens) and LOVE them they wear well (10K and look great all front tire miles since I run dr's on the back).

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
I went cheap, and got Khumo Ecsta Supras.. decent tire with ok traction, and seems to have decent life on them..

cobra101

Established Member
Ive been through stock F1's, Nitto 555 Drags (3x), and Nitto 555 Streets. 6.5K miles, 8kMiles (555R), 6k MIles (555R), 10K (555 Streets), 4.5k Miles Nitto (555R), and the latest Falken FK-451 (almost 2K miles and look great). I like the Falkens so far. I hope to get at least 10K out of them and they are much cheaper than all the others I've had. I paid $290 installed for the two. I was paying 400 for Nittos installed.

They don't hook like the 555R, but the hook like the 555 Streets and cost much less.

bones

Established Member
It's well known on this forum that the OEM F1's are junk. If you got 17K out of them without extensive highway driving consider yourself lucky. I had a blow out on one at 8,000 (cap completely separated from both sidewalls) and the other three originals were gone at 13K. IMO factory tires are not the same as what you buy in the aftermarket regardless of what's printed on the sidewalls.
I shopped and narrowed my choice down to KDW's and GSD 3's and went with GSD 3's based on price. They are great tires; hook much better and excellent wet traction too. I have 12K on them and they still look fine.

mosconiac

Established Member
NyteByte said:
Don't be disgusted! This is a good thing!!

Look on the bright side. It's an excuse to finally get rid of those crappy stock F1's and get better tires.
ShelbyGuy said:
all you need to know:

michelin pilot sport
The truth has been spoken.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Thats good mileage for the F1's. Mine are going to go about the same mileage, I rotate mine every 3K mi.

I'd have to go with the GSD3's over the Michelins. However, the PS2's are proported to be *slightly* better in the dry.

jean

Established Member
GS-d3's for me in the back,F1 on the front.
GS-d3's are a softer tyre.40 front,35 in the back
got 13 000 miles on the F1

mosconiac

Established Member
Just for reference...I got about 24,000 miles out of my OEM F1's before they were in desperate need of replacement.

Michelin Pilot Sports went on because GSD3's were not available in 315/18. I now have 51,000 miles on my car and I have about 1/5 tread left on the Pilot Sports. I expect to get better than 30,000 miles out of them...and I have not been kind to them.

Now that my car is not my DD, I will be putting ET Street 315/18's on when they become available this fall.

BuffDigits

Bling - Bling
Established Member
my stock f1's didnt make it to even 10k I think.

went with pilot sports, but kinda expensive, worked great in wet weather but only so-so in dry. Also didnt last long, maybe 10k on them as well
before they got really hard and drove like I was on ice.

went with bfg kdw 2's and way better in dry then pilots, way cheaper, not quite as good in wet as pilots, but so much stickier in dry weather.

both make a bunch of noise (pilots were really bad as they wore down).

and the best thing the bfg kdw's were half as much as I had spent on the pilots.

would have gone gs'd3's(lots of people like them) but didnt have what I needed in 18's. so if your running 17's definately take a look at those.

Ltd10th03cobra

3.4 Whipple Crusher 22psi
Established Member
I still have the stock F1's on the car and she just hit 20,500 miles. They lasted this long but look like crap and bald. I was going to do the GSD3's but they just were too expensive. Soon, I will just get the Kumho Ecstas due to price.

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
My Original F1s didn't make it to the first tire rotation. 4K miles on the Odo, and tires had to be replaced already mainly due to a bad alignment (outside were very worn).

I have cheap Kumho Ecstas on the car now. 12K miles on these tires, and they are getting rather close to wear bars, but not quite there yet. Rotate every 3K miles. Tire did come with a 20K mile treadwear warranty (only tire I found in our size with a treadwear warranty), so I do plan on taking advantage of that too when time comes.

Stangette03

JC's Jules
Established Member
My F1's lasted a little longer than that, but not much.

I have GS-D3's all around and I LOVE them. But I am now in need of two new rear tires. They are expensive and the life of them isn't that great either... but to me it's worth it to have that tire. They are also fantastic in the rain.

Users who are viewing this thread