Ease my worries - I WANT TO RACE!

Z20WHAT

Established Member
With all the crap I keep reading I’m beginning to think it was a mistake to get this car!

Everyone makes them out to be so fragile.

My 2000 and 1987 GT's have seen hundreds of runs and it's great fun. I was HOPING to have fun with this car as well BUT...

I like going fast. I like drag racing. I don’t like replacing clutches, input shafts, half-shafts and whatever gawd-aweful crap it seems goes wrong with thee cars.

Or am I over-worrisome?

I plan on going to the track on Sunday but I don’t want my brand new $36k car out of commission for two weeks because it’s a weak POS and can’t take a few runs down the track. It’s actually starting to piss me off to read nothing but problems with these cars.

HELP!

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
I'm sure your GTs don't put out 400 torque. ;-) It is a proven fact, the more torque you throw in a car, the more stuff breaks. I have learned to get rolling a bit before I really jump on it. Yeah, they get me off the line, but my car stays together to drop them in the end - and THAT is all that counts.

Z20WHAT

Established Member
The 2000 GT makes about 330hp/358tq to the wheels and my 1987 is about 430hp/460tq at the flywheel. I don't worry about them and haven't had many problems. *shrug*

Last edited:

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
Originally posted by Z20WHAT
The 2000 GT makes about 330hp/328tq and my 1987 is about 430hp/460tq to the wheels. I don't worry about them and haven't had many problems. *shrug*

Holy crap man! Those are some powerful GT's!:thumbsup: My 2000 GT has almost every bolt on you can get and makes 253. I have to admit though, my GT has handled some thourough thrashings without a hiccup.

Z20WHAT

Established Member
I mistyped the numbers...I corrected them. Yes they are nice. The 2000 is my mom's GT and th '87 is my dragcar. I have a blower for it but only had it on for a week. No time to tune it. Never ran it with the blower but N/A (the #'s above) it still rolls and though I've done just about everything you can to it, I like not having to worry.

Jerky

Sum Sum Bling Bling
Established Member
I love my '03, no problems, no complaints. Many Kills . . . Just let 'er rip!

Pyro

Established Member
I wouldn't too much worry about what other people break or dont break. Each person has their own driving style and mod story.

Jerky

Sum Sum Bling Bling
Established Member
Well . . . :) I just wanted you to have some good news.

"It’s actually starting to piss me off to read nothing but problems with these cars. "

That made me sad . . . If you haven't heard anything good, I wanted to be the first. You should be happy!

I have only done "street" racing . . . But I've run her very hard on some back roads here, and she has just done awesome! I'm just trying to say that it's not like you bought a p.o.s. Try enjoying what you've got!

Friendchicken

You can launch safe and not worry about a thing. but if you are going to cheat the launch (slip the clutch, 4k rpm drops, powershifts..) then expect the stock components to break.

Your cheat launches will net you the highest times, but you are going beyond street application limits- which is what these cars were designed for. I guarantee that your last cars with 400hp/tq would break faster and more often.

The car is not a POS because it didn't come with a spec 3 clutch or a $5,000 drag rear-end. You abuse anything- no matter price and it will break.

Ask any of the pros who race competitivly and ask them if it's cheap. You got to pay to play and Ford never stated that this car would live on the strip.

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
I have about 60 launch's at the track with the stock IRS but only on F1's so that really doesn't give you much of a warm fuzzy. Out of those 60, I've had wheel hop maybe 6-8 times. Hard to hop with no traction. I am switching to BFG DR's in the next couple of weeks and we'll see. But as far as the car goes, I've had a blast so far and I don't baby it much. Hell I paid 36k to have fun and thats what I'm doing. If I can afford 36k for a car, I can afford to fix it. Thats how I look at it. You can't expect to run at the track every weekend and not expect something to give eventually. Just my $.02....

Z20WHAT

Established Member
Well perhaps I should just get a GT and mod it a little so I can actually race with peace of mind. :(

Now I'm even more pissed. All this power and we can't use it for some fun without a lot of worry...doesn't make too much sense.

Z20WHAT

Established Member
Not a question of affording anything, it's a question of why the hell do I have to worry about spending a senseless $1000 on new half-shafts when they should have been able to handle a beating in the first place. *shrug*

raiders03

Banned
I would not worry about breaking the motor. People have put 20+ PSI and 150+ shots of NOS into this motor with no problem. Half shafts will break at the track on slicks or DR's. Just get some anti-wheel hop suspension and you will have to worry about launching. Good shocks, springs, and bushings will eliminate any potential wheel hop you might get at the track causing harm to your half shafts. That is the route I am going to go.

Friendchicken

if you love to drag, why not do the cheap thing and swap to live axel? I'm sure you 'd have a line-up of GT guys to do even swap with you.

Best of both worlds with less driveline hp loss. :)

Z20WHAT

Established Member
Originally posted by 98kobra
if you love to drag, why not do the cheap thing and swap to live axel? I'm sure you 'd have a line-up of GT guys to do even swap with you.

Best of both worlds with less driveline hp loss. :)

Yeah...and how much does THIS cost? And how much time does THIS take? :(

Users who are viewing this thread