Eaton. Auburn of FMS?

Alex_96Cobra

Cant Sleep-Clown'l eat me
Established Member
I need to replace the Diff in my 96.It seems the LEFT tire is spinning and the right just sits while I am in the wtaer box heating them up. At least that is my assumption cause there is rubber on my left rear quarter and not the right- pretty weeird huh? Also it makes a pretty nast grinding sound when I make a hard left?
Anyway I am looking into a 31 spline carrier and axles and I'm leaning towards the FMS unit for 2 reasons, it is cheaper (I can get it for 250 new at my local dealer) and it is rebuildable. I hear Eatons are rebuildable as well but kinda pricey (over 350)
The Auburn is supposed to be a good unit but I am afraid of damaging it and not being able to rebuild. Any recommendation on axles and studs? I'm also gonna go up to a 4.30 gear since my 4.10s are more than likely shot now too (and they were humming pretty bad before)
SO whatcha got? Whatcha recommend? What is your opinion?

Thasnk
Alex:beer:

VNMHISS

Established Member
What's up Alex? No wonder I didn't see you at Cali Speedway this past weekend? So it was the differential after all? That's sucks,at least it's going to be faster and stronger. I am also going to upgrade my rearend really soon going with either www.tomsdifferentials.com or www.drivetraindirect.com. Drivetrain has a Superior forged 31 spline axles/Eaton posi package for $559. Also going in at the same time FRPP 4.30's,FRPP alum. d/s,SVO axle girdle. I know a person who can hook you up with cheap labor(Ford tech) near your location in Ontario if you are interested. Good luck Alex,keep us posted,and see you at the track.

Last edited:

Alex_96Cobra

Cant Sleep-Clown'l eat me
Established Member
Yeah I had to sit last time out. My car is not happy right now:cuss:

That sound like a good price. I shot them (drivetraindirect)an email asking about some kits but still havent heard back. When are you planning on doing yours? Do you think you can email me the guy who does the installs info? I want to get my ducks in a row and know exatly what i need to pony up for the install. I have some cash now and am looking at gettng it done ASAP. Anyone else in the Socal area looking to beef up their differential maybe we can get a GP going locally?
Thanks Ricardo!

Alex

Users who are viewing this thread