Eco-boost Mustang CONFIRMED

JL-KA

Established Member
Searched and didn't see this posted but sorry if it is a repost.

EcoBoost Mustang confirmed by Bill Ford Jr.

While speaking to a small audience at Princeton University last night, Ford Motor Company Bill Ford Jr., stated that there would be an EcoBoost version of the fabled Ford Mustang.

There have been plenty of rumors and speculations over the past few years about the return of the turbocharged Ford Mustang, following in the footsteps of the Turbo GT and SVO Mustangs of the early 1980s. Although Ford execs have been quoted as saying that soon, every Ford vehicle would offer an EcoBoost option, it has not been definitively confirmed by anyone at Ford Motor Company that there would be a new Ford Mustang featuring their innovative EcoBoost technology – until now.
The folks at Jalopnik broke this story a short while ago, adding that when they contacted the folks at Ford public relations, the company would not deny that there was an EcoBoost’d Ford Mustang in the works. There is no clear indication as to whether Ford will use the newer 4-cylinder EcoBoost, the 3.5L V6 EcoBoost used in the Lincoln MKS and Ford Taurus SHO or a new EcoBoost engine but all three are possible options.
The first and most unlikely EcoBoost Mustang would carry a 4-cylinder. This would probably be some sort of super-efficient entry level engine, coming in below the 305hp 3.7L V6, but not far below the current base engine. Imagine a 285hp Mustang coming in a special green paint code with a catchy eco-friendly name, offering something like 40mpg. Again, not likely - but something to think about.
The next and most exciting option would be to see the EcoBoost turbocharging technology applied to the new 5.0L V8. This could make for an incredible high performance Mustang and with the Ford Racing supercharger package offering 624hp on stock internals, the new 5.0L can clearly handle boost. There have even been rumors that Ford of Australia has been working a turbocharged version of the new 5.0 for the next generation of the SVT GT500 but those are somewhat contradicted by the announcement of the Boss models in Australia, which use a supercharger to make big power in vehicles like the Ford Falcon. Also, while speaking with 5.0 chief engineer Mike Harrison, he mentioned that the 5.0 wouldn’t make for an ideal turbocharging engine in the Mustang chassis because there isn’t enough room…but he added the closing comment “unless we tucked the turbo up top like we did with the new Powerstroke”. That almost sounded like foreshadowing to me – but this is again just a hopefully “what if”.
Finally, the most likely occurrence of the EcoBoost in the Ford Mustang would be something based on the popular EcoBoost V6 used in the Ford Taurus SHO and Lincoln MKS. This engine delivers 355hp (Lincoln) and 365 (SHO) so with similar power to the Ford sedan, a Mustang powered by the 3.5L twin turbocharged EcoBoost V6 could offer around 365hp with less vehicle weight than the AWD full-sized sedan. 365 horsepower would nestle this EcoBoost Mustang right down between the 305hp Mustang V6 and the 412hp Mustang GT and with performance like that, it would be reminiscent of the SVO and Turbo GT Mustangs of yesteryear. Those turbocharged 4-cylinder Mustangs offered more power than the base model but slightly less power than the Mustang GTs powered by the 5.0L V8 and with the help of the EcoBoost technology, this modern SVO Mustang would offered improved fuel economy over the other current Ford Mustangs.
There are no real details available, other than the fact that company leader Bill Ford Jr., says that it is coming but will the automaker really contradict the man who carries on the Ford name? probably not…so I hope to hear more about an EcoBoost’d Ford Mustang in the near future.

I wonder which of the 3 options they'll go with. I kinda think they'll go with the 4cyl...we shall see

mustangc

This too shall pass
Established Member
None of the above make any sense, IMHO.

Ecoboost 4-pot - The 3.7L V6 in the Mustang already gets 31 mpg. The 2.0 Ecoboost in the 2012 Focus ST is the highest performance version seen to date, and it only makes 250 horsepower. That's fine for a B-series subcompact car, but is a huge backwards step for the portly Mustang. Sure it may get slightly better mileage, but that's more of a priority for the Focus owner. Good mileage is important, but the BEST mileage isn't as important for the Mustang shopper. If they turn it into an eco-goober econocar... it isn't a Mustang anymore, regardless of what the badge says. Now if the 2015 Mustang gets smaller, I wouldn't put it past Ford to try this motor... let's face it, they were stupid enough to produce the Mustang II and the Probe (which was ALMOST the Mustang, had it not been for us enthusiasts telling them they were idiots and John Coletti stepping in to save us).

Ecoboost V6 - This is a possibility, but doesn't differentiate itself enough from the 5.0 V8. The Ecoboost makes 365 horsepower compared to 412 for the 5.0. The EB can be bumped up in power. So can the 5.0. The Ecoboost does have superior torque production and slightly better mileage, but it is also more expensive and doesn't have that V-8 sound. It may also be a little lighter than the 5.0, but once again, the difference is so small that one engine would simply cannibalize sales from the other, not generate many new sales. And lets face it, the Mustang GT needs an everyday V8, or else it is not a Mustang... so the 5.0 isn't going anywhere. There simply isn't room in the lineup for both unless the EB can differentiate itself more. I don't see it happening.

Ecoboost V8 - This one sounds the most promising, and may become the flagship engine. An Ecoboost 5.0 could match the S/C 5.4 in ultimate power production at a significantly improved fuel economy. However, the comments you posted indicate that (at least in the current configuration) fitment is a significant issue. In the example you quoted, the turbos would have to move to the top of the motor. This packaging is possible in the 6.7 Powerstroke because the exhaust exits the cylinder-head on the inside the V, not on the outside. This would require a significant redesign of the engine platform. As with the EB I-4, the fitment may be less of a hurdle in the next generation 'Stang, so perhaps EBV8 is the most likely candidate of the three to see production.

Now just my personal opinion, I like the current engine choices a lot. I prefer supercharging over turbocharging in spite of all of the drawbacks. It just seems more American...more Mustang

Last edited:

Kn38ms

Glockaholic...
Established Member
A four banger, regardless of power output is wrong
in a car with a 3400# curb weight. Bad idea...:dw:

JL-KA

Established Member
A four banger, regardless of power output is wrong
in a car with a 3400# curb weight. Bad idea...:dw:

CX-7 is a turbo 4 with just about the same power as the ecoboost and it weighs 3500.
Forester is just under 3400 and has a turbo 4 making 225.
And Ford is offering it in the new Explorer that tops out at a whopping 4500lbs.

Last edited:

acrbill

Established Member
I really hope this is for the 2014 model. The 3.7 is a fantastic motor and the 5.0 probably has another 20% HP hiding between direct injection and other tweeks.

Users who are viewing this thread