EGR block off Plate

sn8kbite

Established Member
Anyone know where i can purchase an EGR block off plate so i can delete the EGR valve on my 2003 cobra?

projekZERO

Werd
Established Member
what for? now heres one mod i never understood, u do realize your egr valve is only open during part throttle cruising? its closed at wot. so whats a point.

projekZERO

Werd
Established Member
egr just recurculated gas back into the cumbustion chamber to cool the cumbustion chamber down, to reduce NOX, NOX can only be produced above 250 degrees celcius. just for anyone wondering what egr does

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Originally posted by projekZERO
egr just recurculated gas back into the cumbustion chamber to cool the cumbustion chamber down, to reduce NOX, NOX can only be produced above 250 degrees celcius. just for anyone wondering what egr does
I always got a kick out of this description. How can hot exhaust gas cool the combustion chamber? The reason it "cools" the chamber is by lowering the volume of oxygen and thus the A/F.

As to why someone would want to do it, I agree that why bother if there is not a reason, but if you have ever installed an apten(ie drivers side head) cooling mod, you prolly wouldnt be asking why anyone would want to remove the EGR.

projekZERO

Werd
Established Member
oh. well if thats why hes interested then ill shut up and stand corrected, but as far as performance wise, theres no point.

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
not only that, but remove the thing and watch the codes you throw. Not only that, the car will detonate like crazy at light loads. The EGR gasses it recirculates are inert...no oxygen. it richens and cools the mixture and the computer will compensate with more timing during EGR operation. If you block it off, it WILL detonate!

mustangdan429

Established Member
actually it does cause some performance gain. the egr creates more of a carbon build up in the intake track, and especially on my IMRC's. thus deleteing it will slow the carbon buld up. oh and about blocking it off...you could just put a breather on it...

plan b

hooters for looters
Established Member
If you block off the EGR, a competant tuner can tune for this. If you want to buy an EGR block off plate go to the modular depot forum, Modulardepot.com. Go under the parts thread near the bottom of the page. Contact Randy Stinchcomb of Liberty Ford. I believe the block off plate is under 20 bucks.

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
I'm going to bet you it throws codes. The ECM can determine if the EGR is operating properly.

I don't understand this mod. It improves emissions, you will never convince me the EGR hurts power (prove it to me on a dyno), it improves performance at part throttle tip in by reducing detonation, and you can't pass an emissions test with it off there. I would work around it if I were you and leave it there.

Users who are viewing this thread