EGR delete ?

flyingbrian1

Established Member
Hey, I'm doing a on a egr deleteon a 01 4v what vacum lines can I do away with?

Thanks Brian

cobraracer46

Banned
why do people still waste their time performing useless mods like deleting the EGR and PCV systems. Deleting the EGR system will not increase performance and may even result in detonation. :burn:

01 Venom

Established Member
cobraracer46 said:
why do people still waste their time performing useless mods like deleting the EGR and PCV systems. Deleting the EGR system will not increase performance and may even result in detonation. :burn:

I was wondering the same thing, besides cleaning up the engine bay slightly whats the point in doing this?

To me why create another source for a potential problem

UCBeau

it may lean you out a little but not that much. just make sure your tuner turns off the EGR stuff in the computer too.

SNSTR_SNK

Established Member
SanDiego01Snake said:
it may lean you out a little but not that much. just make sure your tuner turns off the EGR stuff in the computer too.

your egr is only operating while cruising, light load situations. deleting will not lean your car out. your gas mileage will get worse. you'll be more prone to detonation because of higher operating temp (cruising). but it will not lean your car out. unless of course you forgot to plug the vacuum hose feeding it

Last edited:

poopy01

My car is slow
Established Member
wow, they really jumped down your neck....I would only see good things by removing it??? Why would anybody want hot, non oxygenated air going back into the engine.....besides on a cold start up?

flyingbrian1

Established Member
poopy01 said:
wow, they really jumped down your neck....I would only see good things by removing it??? Why would anybody want hot, non oxygenated air going back into the engine.....besides on a cold start up?

Yea I know, but u know what they say people fear what they dont know.

cobraracer46

Banned
poopy01 said:
The EGR system injects an inert gas into the intake during light load cruise mode to control NOX emissions. The Inert gas cools down the combustion chamber and also helps control detonation. The EGR system does not operate at idle or wide open throttle so knowing all this, it is foolish and a waste of time to delete it since no performance gain will be realized by doing so.

poopy01

My car is slow
Established Member
cobraracer46 said:
The EGR system injects an inert gas into the intake during light load cruise mode to control NOX emissions. The Inert gas cools down the combustion chamber and also helps control detonation. The EGR system does not operate at idle or wide open throttle so knowing all this, it is foolish and a waste of time to delete it since no performance gain will be realized by doing so.
Inert gas....LOL....so the hot exhaust gas some how cools the down the combustion chamber..........It does do two things.. 1. it replaces space that could be filled with some nice oxygen rich air... 2. reduces emissions. I dont want it to do either. Sure we are talking about very small amounts here that would more than likely make no real results, but that is what it is doing. And yes not worth the screwing around with. P.s. I cant find my the storage tank for my Helium, Neon, Argon, Krypton and Xenon gases....:lol1:

Little Joe

Inert Gas

The Major produts of combustion are made up of CO2 Carbon Dioxide, H20 (water vapor) N2 NITROGEN, CO Carbon monixide, and N2Ox Nitrous Oxides These NOx gases are the Bitch, they are credited with Causing acid rain with Sulfur Dioxides from the coal power plants, as well as other gases.
The NOx gases are formed at High Combustion chamber temperatures, By recirculating a % of exhaust gases ( Inert ) into the combustion chamber may increase the inlet charge temperatue slightly, this 5 % will not burn
during ignition, so that's 5 % of relativly cool gas not burning.The actual
exhaust gases ( combustion chamber temperature) with EGR are at a lower temperature than a 100 % gas-air mix. In turn producing less NOx gases.
Not to Piss in anyone's Corn Flakes that how they lower the emissions:beer:

duane v

Established Member
IMO, if you dont have to remove the EGR system, keep it.....If my Watson LT had a provision to run the EGR, I would still be running it today...I did keep all the EGR stuff, just in case I ever get motivated enough to weld bungs to the headers and re-attach everything......If it was a vote I would say keep the EGR system....DA snake boy!!!!

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
duane v said:
IMO, if you dont have to remove the EGR system, keep it.....If it was a vote I would say keep the EGR system....DA snake boy!!!!

X2, I removed mine to clean up the enigne bay. My city mpg went to crap. My hwy even took a small hit. The EGR will be going back on when I install the short runner.

97Stangv6

Distractions suck....
Established Member
na svt said:
X2, I removed mine to clean up the enigne bay. My city mpg went to crap. My hwy even took a small hit. The EGR will be going back on when I install the short runner.

Do you have #'s? I would really like to know if its really worth going through the trouble to hook it back up when i drop the motor back in next week.

poopy01

My car is slow
Established Member
na svt said:
I cant see how it would make your mileage worse. The only thing I could see it doing is leaning you out a bit.?? Who knows

SNSTR_SNK

Established Member
flyingbrian1 said:
Yea I know, but u know what they say people fear what they dont know.

i think you shouldve probly done some more research before you made that comment.:nonono:

SNSTR_SNK

Established Member
poopy01 said:
Inert gas....LOL....so the hot exhaust gas some how cools the down the combustion chamber..........It does do two things.. 1. it replaces space that could be filled with some nice oxygen rich air... 2. reduces emissions. I dont want it to do either. Sure we are talking about very small amounts here that would more than likely make no real results, but that is what it is doing. And yes not worth the screwing around with. P.s. I cant find my the storage tank for my Helium, Neon, Argon, Krypton and Xenon gases....:lol1:

think about it, inert gas, can't be burned. less air/fuel mixture= less heat, better gas mileage, like everyone has said above the only time it operates is when you're cruising.:poke:

Users who are viewing this thread