Einke RPF1's for the Road Course.

JTStreet

SID297 Approved
Established Member
Hello all,
Because of the brake kit I have decided to utilize, I'm in need of a good 18" track wheel that will hold onto a nice set of Hoosier R6's. These will be installed on a 2001 Cobra. I have a couple of questions.

First and foremost, are the Einke RPF1's still the best 'bang for your buck' when it comes to a lightweight track-oriented wheel?

Should I consider offsetted sizes between the front and rear wheels?

Since I must use 18" wheels, and I will be utilizing Hoosier R6's, what wheel / tire size combination should I consider? The Tires are available in the following (relevant) sizes:

P275/35ZR18
P285/30ZR18
P295/30ZR18

I doubt I'm going to want anything larger than that, as the car only makes ~400 WHP.

In regards to wheel sizes, 18" RPF1's are available in 8.5, 9, 9.5, and 10" widths. What offset do I need? What's the best tire / wheel width for my application? I know this is a bit of a generic and 'noobish' question, and I apologize in advance; however, I thank you for your expertise and input.

sn95Cobrakai

Established Member
That's the wheel tire combo I use. Only it's a 17" setup. I use a 17x9" +22 offset with a 275-40 17 R6. No fitment issues with suspension ect. Fits perfect. With an 18" IDK if you can get an offset less than a 38 so if depending on your width decision you may need to check what offset will work best for you. +22 offset is sort of the safe zone for sn95 cars. I'd say a 18x9.5" with a 275 tire would be a good setup. With a +38 offset you will have about an inch less of clearence on the backside of the wheel. I also suggest keeping a square setup and same offsets. Rotating tires is a good option to have at the track.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
It was asked in another thread what your experience level is? How many track days have you already done?

JTStreet

SID297 Approved
Established Member
It was asked in another thread what your experience level is? How many track days have you already done?

Sorry for the delay; holiday seasons can be hectic. I've been involved in one form of Motorsports or another for about a decade, including drag racing, rally-cross, and auto-cross. I'm very aware that road racing is a completely different beast. I know just enough to confidently say I know virtually little to nothing about road racing other than the fundamentals. This is, for all intents and purposes, is one of my first venture into road racing. I have previously done a few HPDE events when I had my S2000, but I am by no means or stretch of the imagination an expert or veteran.

With that said, I'm fully aware I'm not going about this in the traditional sense of 'drive what you have, learn the car, then make improvements.' My (probably flawed) reasoning for this is that I am starting with a platform that is far from ideal for road racing. The 01 Cobra (hell, Mustangs in general) is not an amazing track car by any stretch, at least in stock form. Essentially, I wanted a good starting point. A good, reliable, and fun track car in which I won't out-drive in the very near future. I wanted to build it right, the first time, mostly all at once, and just enjoy it.

I do plan on initially utilizing street tires, so I can learn how the car reacts in certain situations before slapping on the Hoosiers. But I do believe street tires are going to be the first limiting factor of the car, and that's why I made this thread. Call it proactive planning. ;)

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
I believe you should run with street tires until you and the car are hanging with or passing guys with ultra performance tires (150-200 treadwear) consistently. Then slap on ultra performance tires until you are running with guys with DOT R (100 treadwear) or full R compound tires.

By that point you and the car will be pretty damn fast. Taking this as a slow iterative process over the course of a year or two will give you the most experience and the most track time. We have all seen guys jump up in tires too fast and bring bad habits, or break the car all the time because it is not prepared for that level of grip, and the side effects that go with it.

Users who are viewing this thread