Electric Fan Kit Question

jeffhou

Established Member
How exactly does this electric fan work? I know that it can be turned on with a switch while the engine is off, but does it act like the stock fan while the engine is running or do you have to turn it on when you want it to go? :confused: :-? :read:

WHAT04

Established Member
With some extensive wiring, most of which comes with the kit, the fan is controlled by a temperature switch that comes with it. This switch gets mounted in the intake manifold. The kit also contains a new thermostat, that, with the switch, turns the fan on at 185 deg, and shuts off at 170 deg, automatically.

The high speed side of the fan does not come with any parts other than the fan lead for connection. A switch and fuse must be purchased to make this happen.

By the way, the temperature switch that is supplied is a fail safe switch. ie . if it fails, the fan will run continuously.:eek:

Hope this helps.

FlaSVT

Moderator - 2nd Gen Forum
Established Member
Did the install instructions show how this needs to be wired to come on when you run the A/C? Seems like I remember seeing where you had to do some additional wiring to make this happen.

WHAT04

Established Member
Well to be perfectly honest, the kit came with no instructions what so ever. I've always been a little disappointed with JDM that way. You have to download the "instructions" from the JDM section. This is by no means a plug 'n play kit. Lots of extras to purchase for a clean set up.

As far as I've heard, there is no definitve method for making the fan come on with A/C on. I'm not sure why this is such a big concern however, as the stock fan doesn't automatically engage either.

FlaSVT

Established Member
I'm not sure why this is such a big concern however, as the stock fan doesn't automatically engage either.
I believe the stock fan is on a clutch that engages and disengages based on air flow and speed. Sitting in traffic will allow the stock fan to engage and pull air thru for cooling. As you speed up the air flow will cause the fan clutch to spin free on the shaft. The electric fan only runs when it is turned on, either manually or by the temp sensor.

The difference between the two fans is the stock fan will turn and pull air when sitting in traffic and the electric fan only pulls air when it is turned on. As long as you remember to turn it on when sitting in traffic it will be fine, but then you have to remember to turn it off and on instead of letting it take care of it automatically.

The main reason for concern over the fan running when the A/C is on is to pull air thru the coil to make nice cold air. When sitting if traffic on a hot day the fan has to pull the air thru that coil or you don't get the proper A/C cooling.

Last edited:

Don's Bolt

Blown Stang
Established Member
Here is how it works on my truck.

When driving the fan doesn't seam to turn on at all, that is as long as you are moving. When you slow down, or come to a stop, (at a light or in traffic) the fan turns on.

As far as my A/C in normal driving I don't notice any difference. The only time I noticed any loss in cooling was when it was 97 degrees out and I was in rush hour traffic. It still came out cool, but not super cool. I have a switch under my dash to turn on the high speed fan, I just flipped the switch a that gave me super cool A/C. As long as it is 90 degrees or lower I don't notice any differance.

I love my fan, and I am looking for a way to hook up a 2nd relay that will turn on the high speed part of the fan when the A/C is turned on.

FlaSVT

Established Member
Originally posted by Don's Bolt
Here is how it works on my truck.

When driving the fan doesn't seam to turn on at all, that is as long as you are moving. When you slow down, or come to a stop, (at a light or in traffic) the fan turns on.

As far as my A/C in normal driving I don't notice any difference. The only time I noticed any loss in cooling was when it was 97 degrees out and I was in rush hour traffic. It still came out cool, but not super cool. I have a switch under my dash to turn on the high speed fan, I just flipped the switch a that gave me super cool A/C. As long as it is 90 degrees or lower I don't notice any differance.

I love my fan, and I am looking for a way to hook up a 2nd relay that will turn on the high speed part of the fan when the A/C is turned on.

Don - That's what I was talkiing about. :) Down here in Fla we have lots of nice hot days and in this area there is lots of rush hour traffic. :( I wouldn't expect to notice very much loss of cooling while spending short periods of time sitting in traffic or at a light but extended periods spent sitting still or moving very slowly will cause a loss of cooling due to the lack of air flow across the cooling coil. On any given day, my 11 mile commute can take from 35 to 55 minutes. Alot of that time can be at a stand still or moving at less than 20 miles an hour. :(

The switch you have that allows you to turn on the high speed side of the fan is a good thing, but I have two questions 1) what happens if you forget to turn the fan off once you start driving at highway speed and 2) if you go with the second relay, what happens if you are driving at highway speed with the A/C on? Will the second relay tell the fan that it needs to be on as well? I guess it somehow has to take into account the temp as well as the A/C on condition.

By the way, I'm not flaming this mod. I like the idea. I'm just trying to make sure I have considered all of the issues before I put one in. Maybe I should join What04 up in Canada. I'll bet it's cooler up there and I wouldn't have to worry about running the A/C as much. :D Anybody know if this would affect the heater in any way? :D

Mrelmtow

Established Member
I wired my fan using only an additional 12v relay. It turns on the low speed fan when the A/C is switched on. I ran one wire from the junction on firewall (12V) to the circuit breaker (supplied with kit).I have two wires running from the other side of the breaker, each to a relay (one supplied & the other I bought) switch terminal. Two wires running from the normally open side of the relays are soldered together with a wire running to the fan (low speed). The fan is then grounded to a good ground (I used the firewall). The coil side of the relays are wired as follows. A switched 12 v source is run to the supplied relay, the other side of the coil is run to the temperature switch (provided with kit and mounted in the coolant) which will complete the circuit to ground when around 185 degrees is reached turning on the fan. I then tapped into the violet wire for the high pressure a/c switch, located along side the battery by the service port for the freon. I ran the wire to one side of the second relay ( the one that I bought) coil terminal and a wire from the relay coil (other side) to ground (again using the firewall connection). With it wired this way, the fan runs when engine needs it or when the a/c is on. Here is some pics of the relay mounting and the violet wire a/c tap.http://www.f150online.com/galleries/albumview.cfm?num=210
Hope this helps---Mike

Triton

Established Member
Fans

fellow bolt owners, all i did was hook it up direct, 30 amp switch rite in the cab, by the hood release, hi and low, as long as you remember to turn it on when you use the air cond. granted i did not use alot of jdm's pieces, but was much simpler to do. also used the 170' degree thermostat, In my opion they should have left the air off of these trucks and saved a bunch of weight,,,

John Armstrong

Established Member
Re: Fans

Originally posted by Triton54
fellow bolt owners, all i did was hook it up direct, 30 amp switch rite in the cab, by the hood release, hi and low, as long as you remember to turn it on when you use the air cond. granted i did not use alot of jdm's pieces, but was much simpler to do. also used the 170' degree thermostat, In my opion they should have left the air off of these trucks and saved a bunch of weight,,,

Only if you like to sweat your a$$ off in 100% humidty with 90 plus temp.:(

FlaSVT

Established Member
Too many 90/90 days (90 degrees / 90% humidity) here in Fla to go without A/C. I'd rather have the extra weight.

Users who are viewing this thread