Electric power steering conversion,,,

et9secstang

Established Member
Ok! I have a 07,,has anyone installed a electric rack out of a later model car. It seams like that would be a awesome set up... Thanks,

Speedboosted

Established Member
Agree with Joel, not really a point to it in my opinion. It's a pretty vague steering feel compared to a hydraulic setup. It helps ever so slightly with fuel economy, but also something that isn't cost effective at all.

What's your desire to have one?

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I assume he was thinking along the lines of being able to remove the pump/hoses/etc. I suppose if you have time on your hands to get everything to work (with the electric rack) and money isn't the first concern, meh.

I admit to picking up another S197 rack, one of the discontinued Ford Racing hydraulic racks. Better "feel" and improved feedback. Might serve a similar function in a more drag oriented-only car at speed as well. Rehagen Racing has what's left of them.

https://fordperformanceracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=8252

Of note, look at the "package weight" for the above hydraulic rack. Now look at the weight of the electronic Boss 302R rack... https://fordperformanceracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=13185

LEXiiON

Poser !!!!!!!!
Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Party Liquor Posse
I assume he was thinking along the lines of being able to remove the pump/hoses/etc. I suppose if you have time on your hands to get everything to work (with the electric rack) and money isn't the first concern, meh.

I admit to picking up another S197 rack, one of the discontinued Ford Racing hydraulic racks. Better "feel" and improved feedback. Might serve a similar function in a more drag oriented-only car at speed as well. Rehagen Racing has what's left of them.

Well, when I was testing around with the 2010 cluster swap I was able to wire the EPAS up. It probably will work just fine, but in order to do it right, you need a 2011+ K-member. You can't change steering modes unless you get a capable cluster, which means 2012+. That is pretty tough to do, unless you go the extra mile. You would also need a 2011+ salvage battery harness in order to wire it up correctly. It only needs ground, 100A from the battery, CAN+/- and power from fuse 47.

LEXiiON

et9secstang

Established Member
I was wanting to ditch the power steering and I have access to a rack. Not worried about switching modes. I can always get another BMR K member. So all I would need is power and ground? I already have everything possible done to my car

LEXiiON

Poser !!!!!!!!
Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Party Liquor Posse
I was wanting to ditch the power steering and I have access to a rack. Not worried about switching modes. I can always get another BMR K member. So all I would need is power and ground? I already have everything possible done to my car

You need power and ground, as well as CAN+/- and Power to the PSCM from Fuse 47. You can't buy the connectors, so best is to buy a salvage battery harness from a 3.7/5.0/GT500 2011+. I happen to have a spare if you like. You need to custom wire it up to the battery (the harness helps you there, as it has the fuses) ground, put a add a fuse into the BJB for power to the PSCM and add the two CAN Bus wires to the PCM. The K-Member has an additional bracket on the rear to mount the Rack. You can either weld something on, or swap it to a 2011+ K-Member.

Here is the additional bracket:

K-Member.jpg

LEXiiON

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member

Of note, look at the "package weight" for the above hydraulic rack. Now look at the weight of the electronic Boss 302R rack... https://fordperformanceracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=13185

Tob - I did some research on that FRPP rack after you linked it. From what I found on the internet, the oem GT500 rack is 15.7 and that FRPP rack is 15.6, so not much difference there, but I did see the better feedback at speed on the track, and also "more effort" was mentioned in a couple of areas, so I would guess that the FRPP rack either has smaller passage ways or restrictors and does not allow the hyd. fluid to flow/circulate the same way it does on the oem rack, and it is not as light/easy feeling like the oem when turning? Would a heavy nosed GT500 respond more negatively in comparison to a lighter Boss 302 as it relates to turning effort with the FRPP rack? <<<Street application.......

R

Last edited:

Snoopy49

Established Member
I really like the feel of the electric steering in my 2013, I always drive in the steering "Sport" mode.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Tob - I did some research on that FRPP rack after you linked it. From what I found on the internet, the oem GT500 rack is 15.7 and that FRPP rack is 15.6, so not much difference there, but I did see the better feedback at speed on the track, and also "more effort" was mentioned in a couple of areas, so I would guess that the FRPP rack either has smaller passage ways or restrictors and does not allow the hyd. fluid to flow/circulate the same way it does on the oem rack, and it is not as light/easy feeling like the oem when turning? Would a heavy nosed GT500 respond more negatively in comparison to a lighter Boss 302 as it relates to turning effort with the FRPP rack? <<<Street application.......

R

Instead of a lengthy technobabble-style response, I'll see if I can find my good friend HooperWest to give you a thorough review. We each purchased one of the racks at the same time and he has had his in for a few weeks now.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Instead of a lengthy technobabble-style response, I'll see if I can find my good friend HooperWest to give you a thorough review. We each purchased one of the racks at the same time and he has had his in for a few weeks now.

Yes Tob, please have HooperWest give a feedback reply to the install and feel of the FRPP FR500 rack. If it does not act like a manual steering rack at low speeds or some backing/parking situations, I would be interested in picking one up.

R

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator

I'd like to hear that review.

LEXiiON

Poser !!!!!!!!
Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Party Liquor Posse
I really like the feel of the electric steering in my 2013, I always drive in the steering "Sport" mode.

I actually have to admit, while I love the different steering modes and everything else that came with this setup, the hydraulic steering was better. Just the whole steering feel is better, compared to the electric unit. Maybe the FRPP EPAS helps with that, but hands down, the standard EPAS is a downgrade compared to the hydraulic steering. You don't have steering modes, but honestly you don't need that on the hydraulic rack.
I just had no other choice ...

LEXiiON

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Lex, that says a lot. Definite advantages to losing the pump and associated hardware but your EPAS review is indeed an interesting data point.

jbs$

Established Member
There is a reason, for example, that the Hellcat is the only car in their line with hydraulic steering. It was deemed to be superior for their high performance car.

LEXiiON

Poser !!!!!!!!
Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Party Liquor Posse
Lex, that says a lot. Definite advantages to losing the pump and associated hardware but your EPAS review is indeed an interesting data point.

Yes. Honest review. Just better feedback of the road and more direct feel. Even sport mode doesn't match it. It comes close, however.
Just to keep things straight. EPAS isn't bad, the hydraulic is just better.

But I take that disadvantage everyday for the 662 ponies :D

LEXiiON

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
There is a reason, for example, that the Hellcat is the only car in their line with hydraulic steering. It was deemed to be superior for their high performance car.

Could be due to the perceived use. Ford did the same with the Raptor.

Users who are viewing this thread