Electrical problems

PACOS50

Pacos50
Established Member
Just wondering if anyone has gone through the same thing I am currently experiencing.

I did the PA Performance 130 AMP alternator upgrade on my 93 GT last summer. The problem I am having is that it seems to now be overcharging, to the point where it messed up my battery. When I am driving, if I stay between 1500-1900 RPMs the car runs fine but registers around 16.5V, but, when it drops below 1500 RPMs and all the way down to iddle, or goes above 2000 RPMs the voltmeter pegs out at 18V and the battery light comes on. The car also starts to sputter when that happens. The other thing it does is, at iddle the voltmeter is at about 13.5V. Every once in a while in iddle the tach starts to jump from iddle to about 3K RPMs, with no actual change in engine speed and the voltmeter will drop down to about 11V then the actual iddle on the car surges a bit and it goes back to 13.5V and the engine smooths out. My dad is a pretty good mechanic and told me that it may be the voltage regulator, but would it be bad already on a new alternator which has only run about 350 miles since it was installed?

Any help will be apreciated!

Shotchacokov

Established Member
It very well could be a bad alternator. I have bought several "bad" ones new from the store. Had issues from what you are seeing to bad bearings right out of the box or within 150 miles.

I would take it in and have it tested just for piece of mind.

Users who are viewing this thread