Elon Musk is a Marketing Genius

MG0h3

Established Member
Overheard a bit of CNBC talking about this and it seemed to mirror some other stuff I've read or heard on the news; that Tesla going private is a HUGE stretch and he will be under investigation for this.

Time will tell.

Black2010

Established Member
As gas gets pushed out I'm willing to bet that electric starts to get more and more expensive. Gas pumps is a major source of revenue for Cities/States and as that dwindles they will look at other ways to get that money back not to mention other factors.

Solar panels are good but again that is another expense that has to be calculated out. Current state you are looking at 15 or so years at your break even point on them even with all the government rebates. Some of these things (in the current environment and market) is like stepping over dollars to pick up dimes. Some justify it by saying I will keep ____ "till the wheels fall off" or "I'm never moving again" but reality is that the vast majority of even those people still will trade cars out or move before those break even points arrive. Life has a tendency to force those decisions.

In the current market taking the $$$ for those two purchases (Tesla and Solar Panels) and investing it in even low risk markets will net you more value in the long run.

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
I can’t see a used Tesla being worth much after 5 years or so. Who is going to buy them at that point? I don’t see them being like an old Civic that you can wrench on yourself and rack up 200k+ miles relatively cheaply. To me Teslas seem like expensive disposable cars.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
I can’t see a used Tesla being worth much after 5 years or so. Who is going to buy them at that point? I don’t see them being like an old Civic that you can wrench on yourself and rack up 200k+ miles relatively cheaply. To me Teslas seem like expensive disposable cars.
Very disposable. With all the sensors on the Teslas to make it operate safely, any body damage MUST be repaired by a Tesla authorized body shop. Guess what, most Tesla bodyshops are Tesla owned...

There are dozens of examples where cars with relatively minor looking body damage are TOTALLED by insurance companies. But don't take my word for it.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
As gas gets pushed out I'm willing to bet that electric starts to get more and more expensive. Gas pumps is a major source of revenue for Cities/States and as that dwindles they will look at other ways to get that money back not to mention other factors.

Solar panels are good but again that is another expense that has to be calculated out. Current state you are looking at 15 or so years at your break even point on them even with all the government rebates. Some of these things (in the current environment and market) is like stepping over dollars to pick up dimes. Some justify it by saying I will keep ____ "till the wheels fall off" or "I'm never moving again" but reality is that the vast majority of even those people still will trade cars out or move before those break even points arrive. Life has a tendency to force those decisions.

In the current market taking the $$$ for those two purchases (Tesla and Solar Panels) and investing it in even low risk markets will net you more value in the long run.
I would disagree with your comment on Solar panels. with rebates and tax credits you can get the ROI well below 15 years. it also depends on the size of your system. smaller systems have a shorter ROI Some of even the larger systems will have a shorter ROI than 15years even without the rebates. My system is 10k watts I installed in 2012 has been paid off for over a year now.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Very disposable. With all the sensors on the Teslas to make it operate safely, any body damage MUST be repaired by a Tesla authorized body shop. Guess what, most Tesla bodyshops are Tesla owned...

There are dozens of examples where cars with relatively minor looking body damage are TOTALLED by insurance companies. But don't take my word for it.

This is untrue.

We just had a customer who got into an accident with her model x. She went to a local body shop and the total was around $6500 for a door, fender massaging and paint.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Which is fine, until you get into body parts you cant just massage back into shape. Car in the youtube example needed a door AND a Quarter panel. $34,000 repair estimate was stated by the insurance company.

Id bet there aren't any proximity sensors in the fender as well, but Im admittedly not an expert on Tesla.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
The door was replaced. I believe it punched a whole in the side of it.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
So who here would buy a 5-year-old Tesla with 50-60k on it? Serious question - I just don’t see the market being there.
Depends on the price.

Current values, not a chance. But if they learn how to pump them out and drive down resale, I might be in the market for one at $10k.

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member

If this is even true I see where Teslas might even become uninsurable and if that is the case lots of luck even thinking of buying or even owning one, even if you are a millionare as you have to have insurance in order to use a vehicle in most states.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
*IF* and this is a big if... IF Musk can get off the "shove all the high tech into every Tesla" and make it so that the base model cars are simple, economical and of better quality than the previous generation they would be able to build a good base.

Lexus launched with the timeless LS400. The brand was BUILT by the owners who bought ES300s, LX450's and 470's, the GS and since 1999 the RX. Tesla wants to be a car maker for everyone, they need models everyone can afford to buy AND insure.

Black2010

Established Member
I would disagree with your comment on Solar panels. with rebates and tax credits you can get the ROI well below 15 years. it also depends on the size of your system. smaller systems have a shorter ROI Some of even the larger systems will have a shorter ROI than 15years even without the rebates. My system is 10k watts I installed in 2012 has been paid off for over a year now.

I was going off the statement of basically charging your car for free. That will take a pretty nice solar system to power your house and a 220V quick charger. Building a new house now and the quotes I've received put my ROI around 7-10 years depending on consumed usage which is nearly identical to the system my parents had installed 2 years ago. My monthly average for Electric is only $140 a month too which builds into that ROI equation. I upped my estimate (maybe stupidly) due to the addition of powering a charging station. In the summer months it's not that hard but for the rest of the year it would be harder.

Speaking of tax credits for solar. Did that get renewed? Last I heard it was being CLed. My father was initially planning on breaking his credit out over a couple years but would up taking the lump sum this last year due to those concerns.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I see you live in Round Rock. If you want to see my system and talk PM me and we will make arraingments. I live in round rock as well. I will let you take a look at my proposal and system

Stanger00

Established Member

I used 72 months and no amortization schedule because you didn't say your interest rate.

If you got a true ROI that means you're utility bills were $513 a month!

That's crazy.

Edit: forgot to quote this originally.

LOL I was not about to accuse you of anything in your last sentence. In fact I agree with most everything you said in this paragraph. which is why I have a $37K solar system installed on my house. some of which is courtesy of a tax credit.
actually no it's not the same. a deduction gets you about 30% per dollar spent . that is different than a credit that comes off your final tax bill.
you must be using the common core math to come up with this shit. I just spent and entire post calling the guy a snake oil salesmen and you come up with blood pressure and he's my uncle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
why do you assume I financed it? I didn't say my interest rate because I had no interest rate. I paid my portion in cash.

I used 72 months and no amortization schedule because you didn't say your interest rate.

If you got a true ROI that means you're utility bills were $513 a month!

That's crazy.

Edit: forgot to quote this originally.

Stanger00

Established Member
why do you assume I financed it? I didn't say my interest rate because I had no interest rate. I paid my portion in cash.

Ok, still. You say you paid off a $37,000 system in 5 years. I put an extra 12 months and the monthly payment was over $500.

This means that your utilities were over 500 a month for you to have return on investment.

But way to dodge the question and get all offended by mentioning interest rate, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
$37000 would pay my electricity bill for almost 25 years.

LOL at solar installs quickly saving folks money.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Users who are viewing this thread