Emissions Inspection question

mebcop

MasterDebater
Established Member
Hey guys, I see that in NY state you are allowed to have one monitor still "incomplete" and you can pass inspection, but do they know how many monitors you are supposed to have to start with?

Why I ask.... My buddy got dyno tuned semi-locally and the person who did the tuning guaranteed he would pass NY emissions inspection. I checked his monitors today to see if he actually would, and on my Torque app it shows all possible monitors, and whether they are 1. Not Available 2. Incomplete or 3. Complete. When I went through the ordeal of messing with the emissions tune, it took a bunch of revisions and miles driven to get my monitors to set correctly. Well, with his tune, the Catylist monitor reads "Not Available"....

The emissions tune "trick" is to get the catylist monitor to show "Complete" even without cats, but with my buddies tune it's like they are completely taken off the monitor list.

So I was wondering, will NY state know that he is supposed to have 8 total monitors, in which at least 7 have to be complete in order to pass? Or will they just see that he has 7 total monitors, and only require 6 to complete in order to pass?

I also noticed that his O2 and O2 heater monitors are still "incomplete", so he would fail anyways. Do you have to have Catylist complete in order to set the O2 and O2 heater?

Thanks for any info!

Last edited:

Yellow03snake

Established Member
We have the same testing in Missouri, I put 500+ miles on an emissons tune and never got the O2s to pass the readiness codes, gave up, put the cats back on/stock tune and it passed in within 50-60 miles

SCalla1384

Established Member
I drove on the highway at 1900rpm with cruise control on for 60 miles, every monitor cleared. EVAP, o2, etc... I have longtubes and off road X.

As far as the catalyst show not compatible, most likely because the tuner shut the rear o2's off. If the system sees that, they may red flag it. Even if all monitors are complete. I would try to talk to the tuner, or after you get the o2's ready, try to get an inspection. As long as every other monitor is complete.

mebcop

MasterDebater
Established Member
Im just thinking, it would be much easier if you can just totally disable the monitor if that works. I know if you turn off the downstream O2's, it doesn't throw a code, but it reads "Incomplete" for a monitor status. Is simply says "not available", like our car doesn't support that monitor.

Shaun@AED

In *some* states you can get away with that, in others (like CA) you can not.

mebcop

MasterDebater
Established Member
What part of NY.,buffalo here..

Posted via Topify on Android

I'm in Malone. I'm an hour from Plattsburgh (more people know where plattsburgh is).

Thanks Shaun, I wonder how NY works. Do you know if O2 and O2 Heater will ever set if Catylist is turned right off?

mcallister

Established Member
I'm in Malone. I'm an hour from Plattsburgh (more people know where plattsburgh is).

Thanks Shaun, I wonder how NY works. Do you know if O2 and O2 Heater will ever set if Catylist is turned right off?

I'm in the same boat trying to get my cobra to pass emissions. I live about 25 minutes from you in nicholville.

draxxus131

Established Member
I believe it's (5) total emissoin monitors for all vehicles these days, please correct me if I'm wrong.

My smog tech use to live in NY and Texas, so I trust his word.

mebcop

MasterDebater
Established Member
Ours have 8....

Screenshot_2014-04-30-11-25-39_zpsgguptvr8.png

Users who are viewing this thread