Emissions testing in Stafford County, VA?

pbeechner

Established Member
Hey everyone,

Looking to figure out how to pass my Cobra through emissions in Northern Virginia. I am putting MAC longtubes and the catted xpipe from lethal performance on the car but am doubtful that it would pass a sniffer test with these. I was referred to you guys after posting a thread about this in the "South" section of "Taste of Home".

It looks like some shops just do a visual inspection and plug into the OBDII port, but idk if they do a tailpipe sniffer test as well....

I just moved to Stafford County Virginia from New York, really appreciate any help you guys could offer.

Thanks!

CompOrangeStang

Established Member
I believe sniffer is only used on 1996 and older, non-OBDII vehicles.

You should be fine. My Cobra passed despite having a bad tune at the time and blue smoke pouring out the back :)

pbeechner

Established Member
I believe sniffer is only used on 1996 and older, non-OBDII vehicles.

You should be fine. My Cobra passed despite having a bad tune at the time and blue smoke pouring out the back :)

Thanks! Yeah that is what I'm hoping for. I'm completely new to NOVA as well as emissions inspections..... But if you passed then I'm pretty confident. Haha

Last edited:

lafeva

Established Member
I'm a va state emissions inspector and if it is 96+ it just gets plugged into the computer, there's no sniffer test. There is a visual inspection but if you have what appears to be cats it should pass that. As long as the monitors are set in the computer and there is no check engine light it should go through. Pm me if you have any more questions.

Users who are viewing this thread