Emissions violation

red 04

sick 04
Established Member
Does anyone know how much of a fine it is to have no catalytic converters. i was almost pulled over and i just was wondering. thanks. im in california, by the way.

Last edited:

fordracerguy

Mustang Geek
Established Member
This is not an answer to your post red 04, but more of a question as well... I thought I heard from someone that the fine is around $1000 per cat that is removed...

Chris

My Cobra

Gigidy Gigidy Gigidy
Established Member
dang, here in NC we do not have a fine for not having them but if we have them gutted then there is a 2,000 dollar fine for messing with the cats or if a shop does it they get fined. that is the way i think it goes but i could be wrong. We do not have emmision testings. you shoudl be able to look somethign like that up in a law book on the net.

Bl4ckedoutc0bra

Established Member
I believe at first it's a fix-it ticket, then if you fail to re-install the stock midpipe or are caught again, the fines escalate from then on.

bdcardinal

I Spend car money on guns
Established Member
Premium Member
starting fine for an emissions violation is $571 in SB county. however if you go to a referee station, and pass the test, the $571 goes away and tis just a $10 processing fee. only way to pass at a ref is to have everything stock or CARB EO'd. plus you have to pass tailpipe.

Last edited:

WyoTechMSA

Rampage Skeet Hen
Established Member
Im sure its enough to make it not worth trying, why do you insist on having no cats? Is this for just a trip to the track, or do you want to run for good with none? I would look in to getting some high flo cats instead of tempting it.

240_Bullitt

Ford Tech
Established Member
just get cut outs...or somethin...i dunno but i know the federal fine is 10grand and up to 6 months jail time...personally know a guy who had it happen to him...and got the full penalty...the feds can fine u whether there are emissions testing in that state or not

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
In CA, if you are operating with your cats removed, your vehicle can be impounded at the officer's discretion. At the very least you will be cited and ordered to remove the vehicle from the road and to only drive it to and from a place or repair. Once the cats are re-installed you will need to re-certify your smog compliance. Just not worth it.

240_Bullitt

Ford Tech
Established Member
if u want ur cats gone that bad just punch them out and put the case back up that way it looks like they r there..

bdcardinal

I Spend car money on guns
Established Member
Premium Member
03infrasvtf said:
if u want ur cats gone that bad just punch them out and put the case back up that way it looks like they r there..
thats the dumbest thing you could possibly do. when you have to go back in for a emissions test, you will probably fial tailpipe. then you have to go otu and buy OEM cats(at least in CA) and those are about $2k.

Users who are viewing this thread