ending ebay auctions early

50 Proof

Established Member
A few days ago I listed for a sale a NOS 351 GT40 lower intake on ebay. Starting bid was a buck with no reserve. I have 32 people watching this auction right now.

The other day I get an email from someone on ebay that is in dire need of this intake. I guess he owns a 94 lightning, broke a t-stat bolt off in his intake, tried like hell to fix it, can't find a replacement intake anywhere. He's practically begging me to end the auction early and sell him the intake.

Problem is, I don't want to screw over 32 potential bidders by ending the auction early. I know I for one get pissed off when someone ends auctions early. On the other hand, I feel real bad for the guy and I'm wondering if I should just do him this favor and help him out.

What would you guys do? I'm at a loss on this one. :shrug:

disclaimer: this is not meant to be advertising for my ebay auction

Juruense

Banned
Tell him to bid on the auction just like everyone else. If he wants it he will have to bid it up. Do not ever make deals with buyers on eBay when you are a seller, they will screw you every time.

Also, ending early is kind of a black mark on your eBay record. Its on you if you do it. I say HELL NO.

Tell him you will be happy to sell it once the auction is over if no one buys it.

Wraith_2006

Established Member
Totally agree with Kilgore.... Ending early is a bad thing.... he can wait... trust me... also never sell to anyone that says they are from out of the US... I have had more people from Nigeria ask for me to sell to them.... and end early... my only response to them is ... GTFO

03-SilverSnake

Established Member
If there are no bids on the auction it's your option if you want to end it early... I've sold on ebay for 10yrs and ended auctions from time to time with no issues ever.. Just make sure the buyer paypal's you instant $ or something.. i wouldn't end the auction and wait for a money order or check... once you have funds in hand then end it (provided there are no bidders).

50 Proof

Established Member
cool, i'm gonna check it out and see if I can add a buy it now. If I can, that's what i'll do.

edit:
ebay wont let me. The Buy It Now field is grayed out when I go to edit the listing. I think i'm just going to tell him to bid on it like everyone else. This is my brothers ebay/seller account with 100% positive feedback, I don't want to screw my brother over in any way.

Last edited:

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Did you put in a clause for the option of ending it early due to local sale or anything?

If you didn't then keep it running but add a buy it now.

Juruense

Banned
Let the auction run its course you never know how high the bidding will go. If you end it early to sell out side of eBay you get an "end early" on your eBay record as well a being in violation of the TOS as well as selling for what could potentially be less than the final selling price of the actual auction.

You have nothing to gain by helping out the e-clueless "buyer".

Last edited:

50 Proof

Established Member
I didn't put a clause in the listing about reserving the right to end early.

I'm leaning more towards what Kilgore is saying. Plus, this is a rare intake that isn't manufactured anymore, and it's NOS. I have a feeling this intake will sell more on ebay than if I end early for this guy. He's just going to have to bid on it and hope for the best. I'll send him a link to esnipe.com :D

SIr RicCuS

Orange County Horsepower
Established Member
Hey, Corey. How about just telling him to out bid the highest bidder minutes or seconds before the auction closes?

It seems that would be one of the only ways to reassure that your brothers account doesn't get dinged and make everyone happy.

01vert

Established Member
Sorry, Sob story on an intake wouldnt move me. Guy wants his truck up and running, buy a different one. Bet if you sell it to him, a few weeks later it will be for sale on ebay with a higher buy it now.

97samssnake

Established Member
Sorry, Sob story on an intake wouldnt move me. Guy wants his truck up and running, buy a different one. Bet if you sell it to him, a few weeks later it will be for sale on ebay with a higher buy it now.

Thats what I was thinking.

Users who are viewing this thread