Engine Block Differences

Force4.6

Twice Bitten
Established Member
I was reading the previous thread about Iron blocks vs Aluminum blocks and found some of the information interesting. Could you guys give me some more information on the differences between the 2003 Mustang GT, 2003 Cobra, 2003 Mach 1, and the 96-99 Cobra blocks. I just got my first Mod motor and I like to pick up as much information because I find the cars interesting. Thanks

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
2003 mustang runs a windsor iron block i believe (might be romeo, im not 100% sure). Fairly standard 4 bolt main iron block. Solid piece will handle plenty of power. Weighs like 150lbs.

2003 cobra runs the same block but it has a bit of machine work done to it so that the additional crank counterweights (the cobra crank is full counterweighted, the gt crank is not) will clear without a problem. Again, a solid block with excellent power capabilities.

the 03 mach 1 runs a Windsor Aluminum Plant (known as WAP) aluminum block. 6 bolt mains, no jackscrews. It looks like it would be stronger then the earlier al blocks but its not because the material is thinner. The ribs on it are there for that reason. I have one of these blocks and so far its been fine, but Im kinda pissed cause the original block in my car was a Teksid block.

the 96-99 cobras had a Aluminum block cast by Teksid in Italy. It was a very stout piece and is a bit heavier then the wap block(thicker aluminum). 6 bolt mains, 96-98 had jackscrews in the cross bolts, 99 and up did not. Besides other aftermarket or 5.4 blocks, these are the best blocks for the 4.6.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
quadcammer said:
2003 mustang runs a windsor iron block i believe (might be romeo, im not 100% sure). Fairly standard 4 bolt main iron block. Solid piece will handle plenty of power. Weighs like 150lbs.

2003 cobra runs the same block but it has a bit of machine work done to it so that the additional crank counterweights (the cobra crank is full counterweighted, the gt crank is not) will clear without a problem. Again, a solid block with excellent power capabilities.

the 03 mach 1 runs a Windsor Aluminum Plant (known as WAP) aluminum block. 6 bolt mains, no jackscrews. It looks like it would be stronger then the earlier al blocks but its not because the material is thinner. The ribs on it are there for that reason. I have one of these blocks and so far its been fine, but Im kinda pissed cause the original block in my car was a Teksid block.

the 96-99 cobras had a Aluminum block cast by Teksid in Italy. It was a very stout piece and is a bit heavier then the wap block(thicker aluminum). 6 bolt mains, 96-98 had jackscrews in the cross bolts, 99 and up did not. Besides other aftermarket or 5.4 blocks, these are the best blocks for the 4.6.

That is basicaly it, in a nut-shell.

Force4.6

Twice Bitten
Established Member
Thanks guys, getting information like this from you guys is why I like this site.

Users who are viewing this thread