Engine build Q's

SVT-98-

3 Stangs & an Olds
Established Member
I pulled my engine apart last weekend, and am getting it ready for machining. The motor had 100k on it with no problems. Bearings, and cylinder walls looked great. Can I get away with just a torque plate finish hone on the block, polish the crank, and 5 angle valve job on the heads(with maybe new springs)? My buddy and I are then going to install Manley H-beam rods, and pistons, or Eagle H-beams, and JE pistons. I am planing a D1SC.

What have some of you guys done?
Rich

Toasty

Established Member
I pulled my engine apart last weekend, and am getting it ready for machining. The motor had 100k on it with no problems. Bearings, and cylinder walls looked great. Can I get away with just a torque plate finish hone on the block, polish the crank, and 5 angle valve job on the heads(with maybe new springs)? My buddy and I are then going to install Manley H-beam rods, and pistons, or Eagle H-beams, and JE pistons. I am planing a D1SC.

What have some of you guys done?
Rich

Whether or not you can just rehone the cylinders needs to be assessed by your machinist. They need to check to bore wear, bore taper and bores being out-of-round.

New pistons require a specific piston to bore clearance, and forged pistons require a different piston to bore clearance than the stock hyperuetectic pistons (the forged pieces needing a 'looser' piston to bore clearance due to the larger expansion of the forged piston as it gets to op temp).

Same for your crank. I think the forged cranks in our engines, unless damaged, can usually just be micropolished.

Last edited:

SVT-98-

3 Stangs & an Olds
Established Member
Whether or not you can just rehone the cylinders needs to be assessed by your machinist. They need to check to bore wear, bore taper and bores being out-of-round.

New pistons require a specific piston to bore clearance, and forged pistons require a different piston to bore clearance than the stock hyperuetectic pistons (the forged pieces needing a 'looser' piston to bore clearance due to the larger expansion of the forged piston as it gets to op temp).

Same for your crank. I think the forged cranks in our engines, unless damaged, can usually just be micropolished.

What do you think about resurfacing the decks, and heads? I will be using an ARP head stud kit, and a good multi layer head gaskets.

Users who are viewing this thread