Engine Combo ???????

FloJoe68

Established Member
Now I know this isnt any modular ford motor, its old school stuff but if anyone has any power guesses and/ or changes they think I should consider let me know. Keep in mind I'm poor and cant pay for machine work.

This is a temporary motor untill I can get more money to buy some heads.

89' 5.0 HO block (bearings and rings will be new)
Stock Crank
Stock Rods
Stock Forged Pistons
FRPP E303 Roller Cam (220/220 @ .050" Duration ; .498"/.498" Lift)
Stock Roller Lifters
FRPP 1.6 Alum. Roller Rockers
Lightly blended and polished E7TE Heads
Weiand Stealth Intake
Holley 600CFM 4bbl Carb
Hooker Competition Headers
Canton 7-qt Oil Pan

This is all going to be in my 68 fastback along with a C-4 tranny along with a slow 2.73 geared 8" rear.

Thanks all!

Rearpl8tsinsite

QQQQ
Established Member
Of coarse I tell you to post it here and nobody is here to help. Sorry man.

Maybe try a search about the engine you are looking into and see what comes up.

Is that cam stock? What hp #s are you looking at with that setup?

FloJoe68

Established Member
Originally posted by Rearpl8tsinsite
Of coarse I tell you to post it here and nobody is here to help. Sorry man.

Maybe try a search about the engine you are looking into and see what comes up.

Is that cam stock? What hp #s are you looking at with that setup?

LOL Thats no problem. Atleast you are willing to help :)

No, the E303 is after market. The stock F1ZE roller cam has ( 211/211 @ .050" Duration ; .437"/.437" Lift)

I would like my motor with around 260-300+hp.

Last edited:

Rearpl8tsinsite

QQQQ
Established Member
Ahh! I see.

I think you will actually have a pretty nice set up. Bigger than a 289. Healthier cam. Intake, header, exhaust for better flow. Now all you need is the gear and traction.

I would say it is a good place to start. That same engine is running 7's or 8's in the 1/4 so there is a long way you can take it. Market is pretty good for mods given the amount of time the 5.0 has been out.

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
I think you're heading in the right direction. Definately get some better heads, and afterwards, ditch the E-cam. A lot of people like letter cams only because they've never had anything different. IF you are wanting to stay with the ford cams, get an F cam, seems to be the best all around ford cam.

Here's what I'm doing(it's an EFI engine though)
Stock 87' Block(until I can get a new one)
Edelbrock performer heads(1.9"intake/1.54" exhaust)
Anderson N-412 cam(similiar to F but not the same)
Ported Cobra intake w/ 65mm throttle body
Cold Air intake
24lbs injectors
75mm mass air
shorty headers
offroad X
trying to decide what catback but I have flows welded in the stock pipes for now

Now I need 1.6 rockers so it can all go in. I think I'll be at 290rwhp or more.

FloJoe68

Established Member
Originally posted by poopnut2
I think you're heading in the right direction. Definately get some better heads, and afterwards, ditch the E-cam. A lot of people like letter cams only because they've never had anything different. IF you are wanting to stay with the ford cams, get an F cam, seems to be the best all around ford cam.

I was told by a guy to run the X-303 cam. It seems pretty big but he knows his SBF motors. He is a NHRA and IHRA SS/LA & SS/MA National Record Holder '00,'01,'02,'03,& '04. He goes by the name of Money Maker, which is the name of his 65 mustang coupe with a 289 that runs 10's with no power adders.

www.moneymakerracing.com

Blacksunshine

Established Member
Don't run the X303 cam. You will have piston to valve clearance problems. It just wouldn't work. Definately that is not a good cam choice either. The E303, even though its equaled duration made by Ford Racing is archaic technology seems to work great with 70 percent of setups it's put on and a great mild cam. Depending on how well the heads are ported I would think about at least getting some GT-40's, if not stockers are alright for a mild street stang. You need to get some 1.7 rockers that will utilize the cam better and give you some more valve lift. You need to realize that heads are power. Do yourself a favor and sell those heads before you use them and get at least GT40's as I said earlier. As you sit right now you are looking at about 235-250 rwhp. Depending on tune and motor compression. If ya need any more help on where to get parts or advice let me know.

Last edited:

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
Go here and take a look at their cams. They'll also tell you what else you'll need to compliment the cam the best. Pick one that is closest to the parts you already have. Get some heads that accept pedestal mount rockers and you'll be good to go.

FloJoe68

Established Member
Thanks for all of the help guys!

What I'm planning on doing is using the ( I know they suck stock) E7 heads for now, then as soon as I get some money I would like to get the best cast iron heads out there. If anyone knows of a great set of iron heads let me know b/c as of now I can only find the Roush 200 heads.

I'm choosing iron b/c I've known people having coolant leaks and head gasket problems with aluminum heads, but hey, you never know I may change my mind hehe :)

Last edited:

Blacksunshine

Established Member
Nuttin wrong with an aluminum head, see it's hard to mill those heads alot (roush 200) and run some compression with them without using race gas because of the fact that they are iron they don't dissepate the heat. The Roush 200's twin partner in crime is called the Windsor Sr. Lite. They are the EXACT same head only aluminum. couple hundered bucks more and worth the money in my opinion because you can actually utilize the head and make compression to match with airflow. Because if you don't have some compression with those heads the air will be lazy in those large 200 cc intake chambers.

postin the midnight oil..
Established Member
Originally posted by FloJoe68
What engine and drivetrain set-up do you have??

306(with forged internals of course),Vortech S-trim,T5z,JBA's,Dr. Gas X-pipe,3 chamber Flows,Svo pumpkin and 3:55's....:burnout:

Best run was a 12.7 with crappy et streets and a 2.00 60'....Hope to see low 12's and hopefully high 11's this summer....:rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread