Engine Coolant Flush Process/Questions

usafimj

Established Member
So I'm going to be doing some preventative maintenance on my 2008 GT500 because the previous owner didn't know anything about the car other than he had a GT500 and my only concern is swapping out the engine coolant as I've never done it before. I'm going to swap to Amsoil's Heavy Duty Antifreeze and a Reische 170 thermostat. I'll be doing all my maintenance at the auto hobby shop on base so they should have most of the equipment needed for this process. Below are the procedures I gathered from searching the interwebs.

1. Drain coolant while engine is cool
2. Pour in distilled water and top off reservoir accordingly
3. Start car and let engine warm up with heater on high to flush out everything
4. Let engine cool again and drain water
5. Put in new thermostat
6. Pour in new coolant and fill reservoir accordingly. Refill over the next few days if needed.

- Whats the best way to get as much of the old coolant and water out as possible?
- If I use pressure to push the fluid out do I pressurize with or without the draincock in?
- Should I remove the old thermostat prior to flushing the system or keep it in as listed above?

If I'm missing something please let me know

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
If you're going to force flush it, leave the drain open, and run water through until it starts coming out clear. The only issue is that you might not get the heater core flushed out.

Sent from my BlackBerry. The blacker the 'Berry, the sweeter the use!

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
I would pre mix the coolant and distilled water. Make up a 50/50 container, and pour it versus pouring in the water first, then the coolant later.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
There are coolant plugs in the block. I don't think they are easily accessible with the motor in the car though. Draining and flushing several times with water is your best bet. If you want to get it really super clean, Cummins makes a product called Restore+. It will clean the entire coolant system and make it cleaner than new after a couple heat cycles. It has to be mixed with water though so you'll have to flush a bunch before.

barspen

Established Member
It's an extra step, but I pulled the thermostat first, re-attached the housing/hose and then flushed with tap water. After everything is clear, I reattached the thermostat and filled with 50/50 mix. I turn the car over with the overflow tank cap off, get the engine warmed up, then squeeze the piss out of top heater hoses to get the air out. Took it for a test drive and topped off with distilled water. Process seemed to work well.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
There are coolant plugs in the block. I don't think they are easily accessible with the motor in the car though. Draining and flushing several times with water is your best bet. If you want to get it really super clean, Cummins makes a product called Restore+. It will clean the entire coolant system and make it cleaner than new after a couple heat cycles. It has to be mixed with water though so you'll have to flush a bunch before.

The Cummins stuff works great.

usafimj

Established Member
It's an extra step, but I pulled the thermostat first, re-attached the housing/hose and then flushed with tap water. After everything is clear, I reattached the thermostat and filled with 50/50 mix. I turn the car over with the overflow tank cap off, get the engine warmed up, then squeeze the piss out of top heater hoses to get the air out. Took it for a test drive and topped off with distilled water. Process seemed to work well.

Did you run the heater on high to flush out the heater core as well?

Sent from my iPad using the svtperformance.com mobile app

fmylife

Established Member
What do you guys do with the old coolant? Just flush onto the driveway and wash it down/away with fresh water?

Sadly, I've never owned a car long enough to do a flush on them lol!

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
What do you guys do with the old coolant? Just flush onto the driveway and wash it down/away with fresh water?

No. I drain it into a coolant drain pan and bring it to my local recycle center. Pep Boys also allowed me to dump it in their recycle drum free of charge.

barspen

Established Member
So I may be doing the flush tomorrow. Just want to make sure the procedures I listed above look good. I'll add in the remove t-stat after step 1.

Looks solid!

No. I drain it into a coolant drain pan and bring it to my local recycle center.

That is the proper way, but depending on your location, you may have a hard time finding a place to take it. AutoZone and O'riley's don't take coolant in my area. Only the city dump that takes in hazardous materials does it near me (at least thats all I've found). Coolants is nasty and can hurt pets and other animals, so don't dump it. And it's not good for the sewage system.

Last edited:

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Contact your local Ford dealer. They shouldnt have an issue taking it for you. Dont dump, as others have said coolant is nasty shit for the environment.

KRS

Established Member
When I did mine last year I visually checked the system first and it appeared clean. Based on that I drained the system and got approximately 2.5 gallons, then I removed and rinsed the coolant tank. I refilled with OEM coolant to prevent any coolant compatability issues (50/50 mix). I don't think there is any easy/effective way to perform a do-it-yourself flush, and unless the system is contaminated there isn't any need to flush it in my opinion. The main reason that I do my coolant is to refresh the corrosion inhibitors.

Last edited:

fmylife

Established Member
Contact your local Ford dealer. They shouldnt have an issue taking it for you. Dont dump, as others have said coolant is nasty shit for the environment.
Good call.

I definitely wouldn't want to dump it straight on the ground knowing how toxic it is for animals etc...

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
I'm looking at flushing the OEM gold and replacing with the better cooling orange (per Van).

I'm thinking the flushing and refilling with water a few times prior to going with orange might work best. Sounds like the two different types don't mix well.

Snoopy49

Established Member
This is from the 2014 Factory Service Manual, but should apply to earlier models with the exception of the type and quantity of coolant.

Attachments

• 2013-14 GT500 Cooling System Draining, Filling, Bleeding and Flushing.pdf
    596.9 KB · Views: 284

Users who are viewing this thread