Engine cuts off when driving

ConeCrusher281

Established Member
I was driving earlier today, and when I went to downshift, the engine died. I pushed the clutch in to downshift, and when I pushed it in, the engine RPMs dropped straight to 0 and the engine died. Anyone know what it could be? I was thinking maybe vapor lock? :shrug:

ConeCrusher281

Established Member
I have a speed cal, but when I was removing my center console, I had to disconnect the power lead for the speed cal. So, no. My speedometer is not working. And I do not currently have a tune but everything always worked before

ConeCrusher281

Established Member
Have you checked the IAC? Will it run if you give it gas with the clutch in?
The IAC isn't an issue...I replaced it not too long ago. If I shift fast enough as to not let the RPMs drop too low, then the eninge still runs. It only dies when I keep the clutch in for more than ~2 seconds or so

Posted via Topify using Android

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
The PCM reads the VSS signal. If it sees that the car is not moving, it drops the RPMs very fast. If it sees that the car is moving, it does not drop the RPMs as fast. If the PCM is not seeing a VSS signal, it assumes the car is not moving. When it drops the RPMs too fast while the car is moving, the load from the power steering and brakes can kill the engine.

So power up your Speedcal and this problem will go away.

ConeCrusher281

Established Member
That sounds exactly like what's going on. As I was downshifting and breaking is when it cut off. Thanks!!

Posted via Topify using Android

CJK440

Established Member
FYI

You won't see vapor lock on our cars.

That's common when the suction line on a cam driven mechanical fuel pump absorbs too much heat and the fuel boils. We have in tank positive pressure with a return, not likely going to see vapor lock.

Users who are viewing this thread