engine/ignition issue 97 cobra

uberstang1

Fobra
Established Member
Trying to get some opinions car had 04 cobra shortblock , 97 heads and d1sc on 20psi. Did a pull today and car revved clean in 2nd gear , shifted into 3rd and car had a backfire and motor dropped to idle speed and tach went dead. Pressing the throttle gave no change to the engine speed but just took the vacuum boost gauge to zero. When the car finally coasted to a stop it stalled and will not re start. Already changed crank sensor to no prevail. Upon trying to read codes my turner says error displaying codes and I also can't re flash my tune. Car does have a boost a spark and n2mb wot box. Trying to get some ideas where.to start

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
That does not sound good to me.

I suspect you may have had a PCM failure. It almost never happens, but this one does not sound good to me. Can you get access to a scanner to see if it can read it?

dougward1960

Established Member
i also have a 97 that i cant pull codes from. what ive done to get mine running enough to move it is unhook battery for an hour then car will run for a bit before it dies out again and scanner wont connect i have a new ecu but i need to have it reflashed to work because of pats it wont let new ecu start the car

uberstang1

Fobra
Established Member
I'm hoping it's the ecu then I have two spare ECUS I guess I'll put one in and see if it starts. Is there any way to unlock my sct from the bad ecu?

ZeroDCX

Established Member
Someone correct me if I am wrong. The SCT device is locked to your previous ECM, unless you can return it to the stock tune. You would have to send it back to SCT and pay a fee for the unlocking service. Also I believe tune files are written and signed using your serial number for your ECM. So I believe that your current tunes will not be able to flash to your new ECM. This is an anti-piracy measure.

Edit: Only the four digit ECM code is used along with the SCT device serial. Not the ECM serial. So your tune files should still be okay to flash after you Swap ECMs.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread