Engine just dies sometimes

KingKobra

Established Member
Several times since I first got my car (2 months) , usually when I'm riding hard, I'll come to a light in neutral or whatever, and my car dies... power brakes and steering gone and I have to restart it. There seems to be no reason for this.

Am I alone here?

docs03

Established Member
stalling

This is common on quite a few cars. SVT has a fix, but it has to go through their approval process per government regulations before they can release it for the reflash of the computer.

Hang in there it is coming

doc

whitewhisper

Established Member
You are not alone. I have had trb. with my 03 Cobra. It dies with for no reason. I have found that this happens when the motor has not warmed up to running temp. and btw. shifts. I called SVT to see if they had heard of this trb. I was asked if I had put a K&N filter on. I was told that this could cause trb. because of oil getting into screen of fuel injector. I have not changed out my air filter. I bought my Cobra 7/27/2002. This trb. has happened four times now. I hope that Ford comes up with a fix soon.

matstang03

Established Member
Re: stalling

Originally posted by docs03
This is common on quite a few cars. SVT has a fix, but it has to go through their approval process per government regulations before they can release it for the reflash of the computer.

Hang in there it is coming

doc

How long until it is out you think? Because I have had that problem also, not ot much fun:shrug:
Matt

docs03

Established Member
I talked to Coletti and another SVT engineer on Monday and the fix is there but they have to go through the government red tape to release it. I will talk to them at the end of the week for more
info.

Hang in there fellas

Don't waste your time with the dealer. They are clueless.

doc

matstang03

Established Member
Thanx doc, i appreciate the help. i am assuming they will send the fix to the dealers and then we will have to go there to get it done
matt

3rdstang

Established Member
I just had this happen this morning for the first time. My car has 1100 miles on it and I had the traction control OFF. I took the car out of gear as I approached a red light and coasted up to it as I slowly applied the brakes and it just died. I will wait another week or so and see what other info becomes available.

TruBlu03

I don't have my ride yet but just wanted to add a little something. Anyone try blipping the throttle to keep it from dying, or did I miss something and it dosen't matter what the RPMS are?? If that works it can at least get you by until the fix is in.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
It is stalling because the rpms are dropping down to 500 and sometimes the car catches it and sometimes it doesn't. If it doesn't you stall.

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
Originally posted by toofast4u
It is stalling because the rpms are dropping down to 500 and sometimes the car catches it and sometimes it doesn't. If it doesn't you stall.

That is correct. It's happened to be twice, and this is the exact reason why I lemon law'd my Saleen. The Saleen did it almost every time, it was like clock work. My Cobra has almost 4000 miles and it's only happened 2 times and the last time was about 2 months ago.

When the TSB comes out, I will fix it, but I am not too worried until then because the problem doesn't happen too often.

bender460

Established Member
Mine also does this only if I'm going over 30mph, Dies every time. Dealer says there are working on the fix. What's funny is that it has yet do do it since I piked it up friday? I think they may have reset the computer? Thats all I can think of.

Rob03

Established Member
Originally posted by KingKobra
Several times since I first got my car (2 months) , usually when I'm riding hard, I'll come to a light in neutral or whatever, and my car dies... power brakes and steering gone and I have to restart it. There seems to be no reason for this.

Am I alone here?

KK, You may want to look at the K&N even though it may not be the problem. Just make sure you don't have an oil buildup on the IAC sensor...

Cheers, :beer:
Robert

whitewhisper

Established Member
Well it happened again. Motor still not up to operateing temp. and comeing to stop for a red light. This is the five time now that this has happened. I hope that Ford gets on the stick with that fix before I run a light,or rear end someone due to NO pwr. breaks. I picked up my car &/27/02 and have been very pleased with it out side of this problem. If anyone comes up with a fix please Email me at [email protected] THANKS

KingKobra

Established Member
Re: Re: Engine just dies sometimes

Originally posted by Rob03

KK, You may want to look at the K&N even though it may not be the problem. Just make sure you don't have an oil buildup on the IAC sensor...

Cheers, :beer:
Robert

Thanks! This actually happened before I did that mod. It doesn't happen often enough to really logically determine why it occurs. I've gone weeks on hard driving, and never had it. The first time it happened, I was so nervous, I thought my car broke and I coasted off and onto a side street only to have the car start up fine. :bash:

BTW, what is this IAC sensor or rather where is it in relation to the MAF sensor?

Gatorac

Established Member
My 02 GT did this a couple of times when it was new. Never did it after 1k miles. I had heard that this may be due to the computer still learning the car. My 03 has never done it.

juanluis

hi, i would aprecciate if you could help me out here , my motor dies too(no steering wheels, brakes, nothing...) but in a different way , mine dies when i suddenly press down the gas pedal,when i demand to much power,maybe my problem is not that complicated cause it only dies when i demand to much power and it doesn't matter in what gear i am , i had this problem for like a month now, i decide to change my 3.0 pulley to the 3.5 , and it stop dooing it , but of course, doesn't have the torque i want, what should i do???

03 svt cobra
supercharged
superchip
460 hp on the wheels(2.8 pulley)

thanks in advance

Juan Luis Melo
Dominican Republic

vegaspackerfan

13 NFL championships!
Established Member
juanluis said:
hi, i would aprecciate if you could help me out here , my motor dies too(no steering wheels, brakes, nothing...) but in a different way , mine dies when i suddenly press down the gas pedal,when i demand to much power,maybe my problem is not that complicated cause it only dies when i demand to much power and it doesn't matter in what gear i am , i had this problem for like a month now, i decide to change my 3.0 pulley to the 3.5 , and it stop dooing it , but of course, doesn't have the torque i want, what should i do???

03 svt cobra
supercharged
superchip
460 hp on the wheels(2.8 pulley)

thanks in advance

Juan Luis Melo
Dominican Republic

Ok I had that problem with my 2003 cobra also. This is what the dealership did. I have not had a problem since. I hope this helps you out.

Ok here is what they did. It seems to be better. It was a sticking IAC Valve. They replaced it and then they reprogramed PCM per SSM 16293 ????

Hope this helps with the problem you are haveing.

Vegas :thumbsup:

03cobra#116

Established Member
My Cobra did this until my dealer performed the work associated with the stall technical service bulletin.

Before the work, my car would idle around 600 on cold start. Afterwards, it starts idling above 1000 and keeps a higher idle until the car comes up to operating temperature.

Mine would stall occassionally when slowing down with the clutch in before I had driven the first mile.

Users who are viewing this thread