Engine Knock at Startup????

03 red vert

Hello everyone.

Back in December 04, CompOrange04 (I believe) posted a thread that at start up there is a knocking sound (not a tick), which goes away when the engine is warm and/or you drive the car immediately. The knocking is from the front of the car. A followup was not posted, so...

Did anyone every find out what that knocking was as my stock 03 Cobra w/ 7000 miles on it is now doing this? :shrug:

Thanks...

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
The only thing is maybe your timing is off, but I don't know much so... Oh it could be a piston problem, but thats probably not either. Sorry just tryin to throw some ideas out there for you. Worse case scenario take it to the ol' dealer lol.

CompOrange04

Just livin the dream...
Established Member
I'm sorry I didn't repost... I just contributed it to piston slap and went on my way. The dealer isn't going to do anything about it unless it causes compression issues or some sort of other drivetrain malfunction. So I guess that's about the conclusion I came to. Someone else might choose to pursue it a little more.

03 red vert

Got it, thanks....

Last night, I listened to the car as it was at normal operating temperature. I positioned myself on the ground behind the front tire (did this on both sides of the car) and heard a clapping/somewhat knock sound from the general area of the bottom of the motor to the cat converters. It was not as loud as during initial start up (first 2 minutes), but was there....

Any ideas so that I can better prepare myself w/ the dealership... Again, the car is stock w/ 7000 miles on it...

Greatly appreciate it....

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread