engine noise and what i found on disassembly

b00stin

Established Member
so after my hellion turbo install and dyno tune my car developed a noise that sounded like it was in the valve train.... sounded like a tapping noise... i swore it was in the rear driver side cylinder head.. i drained the oil and found traces of metal in the oil...the oil glistened in sunlight lol.. so i pulled my motor and disassembled it and here is what i found.. looks like the #5 main bearing (thrust bearing) has significant wear and made some marks on the block... here are some pics... my question is does the block look salvageable? i was about to send the block and crank to mmr to get a rebuild...that is my main concern...it left some marks on on the block...

Block damage..there are a couple gouges...

IMG_20120818_150746.jpg

IMG_20120818_151943.jpg

The Bearing

IMG_20120818_150244.jpg

IMG_20120818_150235.jpg

This is the other piece to the thrust bearing

IMG_20120818_152057.jpg

Just looking for input as of now.. anyone ever experience this? This was the stock long block @ 48k miles... Thanks

Last edited:

95PGTTech

Established Member
That piece is normally separate, it didn't just fall off. It is beat to death, but it being a separate piece is normal. Only the machine shop willing to do the work will tell you if that block is a go or no go. Personally, I'd say go.

b00stin

Established Member
That piece is normally separate, it didn't just fall off. It is beat to death, but it being a separate piece is normal. Only the machine shop willing to do the work will tell you if that block is a go or no go. Personally, I'd say go.

The marks on the block look like they are locator tabs for that piece i found maybe? i am not sure because i am not familiar with this motor as i would like to be... if they are locator tabs it looks like they got semi destroyed with whatever happened.... im hoping this can be repaired so i don't have to buy another block lol...if anyone knows if there are locators for that piece of "bearing " i found... let me know...or if anyone knows exactly what that piece is.. thanks

95PGTTech

Established Member
The thrust bearing is 3 pieces. One of which you posted "destroyed". No, to the best of my memory there are no specific tabs, the two sides (what you posted) sit against the bottom side of the block and that's that. Again, this is really a call that a machine shop needs to make - I've seen them weld material into a torched set of $4000+ heads, grind them down, valve job, kabang.

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
Ive seen that same bearing messed up before too. I wonder if that's a "common" thing on these motors.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Tapatalk

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
I wrote this first then realized its the stock longblock:

I'm no expert but it looks as if the crank runout with too tight causing the crank to rub against the bearing. Who built it? As long as the tolerance for the crank runout was within spec then it shouldn't have done that. My guess is that it wasnt measured.

So now I realize its a stocker, I'd say oil starvation. Hate to say this but you've just become a stat on the stock motor and a power adder club. You are case #96464363214. :)

But Jesus man... a 76mm on a stock motor? What on earth did that motor do to you? ;)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread