engine noise help

TR MACH

Established Member
So a buddy of mine changed his own oil the other day and accidently left the old gasket from the filter on when he put the new filter and gasket on. So needless to say it didnt hold pressure and oil went everywhere when he went to drive it. he only drove about 20-30 yards before he noticed and immediately pulled over and fixed the problem. But he drove around with about 2-3 qts of oil in his car for about 4 days. Now his car makes a ticking noise when he barely pushes the gas pedal. But when he is above 3k rpm the ticking isnt as noticable. Some think that is might be a bad spot in the lifter or the whole lifter itself. Also heard that it might be an exhaust leak, but i doubt it. Anyone have any ideas as to what the problem might be? Any help is appreciated:thumbsup:

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
WOW..... :nonono: 2-3 qts for a few days.

If this is still doing this with a full 6-6.5 qts....it could be a few things. Tick coming the lower end or upper end?

EVO-lution

Established Member
if it's coming from #7, #8 cylinder on the drivers side it's probably the head tick. hopefully its in the head rather than in the motor. Stethoscop that mofo and let us know. but yea 2-3 qts is no bueno my friend. I woulda had someone drive me to at least get some oil real quick. Not worth it to hurt the motor.

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
well, he def messed something up if he did that and now the motor makes a new noise..dumass shouldnt have done that!

TR MACH

Established Member
He has taken it in to the shop where they used the stethoscope and they said it was the tensioners. Took the motor apart replaced the tensioners and fixed the noise coming from the front of the engine. put it back together and then the drivers side head started ticking. Figured out that something was clogged and they fixed that, and now the original ticking is back. Could it be the timing chain? Anyone have any ideas from my brief description...?

TorchMach

Established Member
Sounds like a burnt Valve to me thats what I had...

Is the car any slower? Does it perform as normal?

Users who are viewing this thread