engine off-clutch noise?

03snakerush

Established Member
Update on my clutch noise-The noise I hear is a creaking or groaning noise only when depressing the clutch pedal BUT, it makes this noise with or without the engine running. Had my wife push the clutch pedal in while I was out sticking my head under the car and under the hood. Definitely coming from either the cable or the trans not the quadrant inside. Anyone run into this and thanks for any responses!:??: BTW it's very intermittent but when it happens it's noisy:shrug:

Last edited:

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
This is the first post I have read about this problem.
Best guess is that the TOB collar is causing it as it slides along the front bearing retainer.
Another possibility is the pivot point that the TOB arm rests on.
Another possibility is the pressure plate itself. Lots of places in it that could make this noise.
Least likely cause would be the cable itself, but maybe...
Pull off the cover over the clutch cable, you may then be able to determine where it is coming from.
Dana

Snoker

Established Member
Yes,
I have the same symptoms. I have never listened on the outside of the vehicle, but can feel it in the clutch intermittently. I had the clutch quadrant and cable replaced. That did not remedy the situation, but did improve shifting substantially. I can feel the vibration intermittently in the clutch. I am not real fmailiar with clutch operation, but it seems to be related to TOB/fork movement. Occasionally, but not in last several thousand miles, I would have TOB squeal after driving car for over 1/2 hour (completely warmed up). I would depress clutch and it would go away to reappear weeks or months dwon the road. Haven't had the squeal for several months, but still do, although intermittently, have the notchy/vibration in the clutch. It can be felt during depression of the clutch pedal and release of the clutch pedal. But it goes away as quck as it appears. Got me puzzled and dealer has left it up to me to make the decision if I want to pull the tranny. When I talked to drivetrain engineer at the SVT building in Dearborn last month, he said it sounded like a TOB problem, but said he was unaware of any historical TOB problems in the 03 Cobra.

I have 11,000+ miles and have put it off hoping it would go away. It hasn't and think maybe I should pursue it further with dealer.
Thoughts?

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
You've at least got it documented. Was me, I'd let it slide until it got worse.

03snakerush

Established Member
DANA- Thanks for the tip and I'll put it up on the rack tomorrow and check it out while I'm doing an oil change. I'll post what I find.:beer:

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
The side cover over the cable is easily removed and may provide a little more info. It doesn't sound like the creaking noise is much more than an aggravation at this point, and the more I thought about it, the more I thought it may just be the springs in the pressure plate making noise and, short of replacing the cover, there is not much to be done about it. But check out the other points I mentioned anyway, it still could be one of them. Noises are tough to diagnose long distance.
Dana

03snakerush

Established Member
While changing the oil today I pulled the cable cover off at the side of the trans. Had my buddy push the clutch pedal down and up many times- No noise of course:nonono: I couldn't really see anything glaring me in the face, no broken components, hardly any disc dust, everything "looked" o.k.:??: I guess I'll just monitor it and when it really acts up, I'll make a bee-line for the dealer. Thanks for the suggestions:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread