Engine Oil cooler

frydguy79

Established Member
thinking about swapping out factory Engine oil cooler for a Air to oil unit...anyone done it, and are you happy with it ? And what did you go to?

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
I've been interested in going with the OEM 13-14 oil cooler but haven't dug too deep just yet.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
You'll reduce coolant system load and get better cooling for your oil. The problem you may run into is keeping your oil too cool. I'm not sure it would give you any great benefits on a street car, and would probably wind up causing harm in the long run. For a track application, it's a no brainer IMO.

A few vendors on here make kits to delete the factory cooler and plumb an air cooler instead.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm not sure it would give you any great benefits on a street car, and would probably wind up causing harm in the long run.
My thoughts exactly. Unless you could adapt a thermostatically controlled bypass, you'd probably be better off going with the lower thermostat for the cooling system, since the stock unit uses coolant to control oil temperatures. A larger oil pan couldn't hurt either. I believe the 13-14 oil pan takes some modification to fit on the iron block 5.4.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
My thoughts exactly. Unless you could adapt a thermostatically controlled bypass, you'd probably be better off going with the lower thermostat for the cooling system, since the stock unit uses coolant to control oil temperatures. A larger oil pan couldn't hurt either. I believe the 13-14 oil pan takes some modification to fit on the iron block 5.4.

The pan was labeled as fitting 07-14:
http://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-oilpan-0713gt500.html

Looks like it has been discontinued (FRPP loves doing that) but should be available over the OEM parts counter.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
The pan was labeled as fitting 07-14:
The problem is the plastic windage tray/gasket that comes with later pans. It has provision for fitting into the oil return holes in the aluminum block, which is different from the iron block. There's also an area on the windage tray that needs to be clearanced because the pan won't sit flush. I know several that have done the swap and wanted to use the windage tray. I don't know what the iron block uses for a gasket, but if you used the 13-14 pan without the included windage tray/gasket and used a conventional oil pan gasket, it would probably bolt up.

Last edited:

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Iron block uses a traditional gasket, and has a steel windage tray that bolts to the mains.

Users who are viewing this thread