Engine Plans for my 96

postin the midnight oil..
Established Member
Originally posted by USMCracing
28 Fangs, My Cobra runs cool with the stock 195*stat. It isn't my car that the thread it about here. Thanks any ways.

I knew that..Just asking so that if he does change the radiator,he will also know what thermostat to use..I heard that if you go to a different radiator you also need a different thermostat..Guess not...:shrug:

myblk32v

Established Member
Originally posted by USMCracing
You say that you Cobra runs on warm side. Well all 96 Cobras do, I went with the Fluidyne Rad. and even in the Yuma heat when I get on it the temps stay down. As for the gears, 4.10s are good if you are going to go Super Charged/No2. All the N/A Cobra guys that are running low 12s are running 4.56/4.30s. As said before don't fear the gear. The only reason I said do the little stuff frist is cause you are just starting the job and I bet you young. Head work on these engine cost a arm and leg. But if you are useing moms/dads money go for it. Good Luck with either route you take. I'd get my heads worked if I had the cash.

Yes i am young but no i do not use mommy and daddy's money for n e thing. I worked very hard to pay for my Cobra, and i work very hard to pay for the mods on my car. And i will have the cash in the next 3 months. As for the Radiator, yes i do need a fluidyne, that is something my dad is buying me very soon, he says he'll pay for it since it is a factory flaw. The only reason i wanna stick to 4.10's is because i drive my car on the interstate ALOT, probably 35-40 miles a day on the 101. Just a question for the 4.30's guys, What RPM r u at when going 80 in 5th gear, i would really like to know.

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
1. gears
2. tires
3. spray

that's all these cars need to run fast. I've got the gear, got the spray...just need tires

I got 24mpg with 4.30s averaging 75mph at 3000rpms to atlanta. Get 4.30s dude. THere is a 150rpm difference between 4.10s and 4.30s.

Last edited:

TeamZ

Established Member
Doug

what's the best time you have ran on spray( AND HOW MUCH SPRAY?) even without good tires...also what mph?

96CynRnr

Established Member
Ok so here are the numbers... what I had done was a Port and Polish on a CNC machine to clean up and smooth the airflow. And they drilled the secondary intakes so they will always flow a little bit.

The changes are as follows... the airflow is what we are measured in CFM ... I will put stock first and then after Ported and Polished. Get ready for nerdy stuff : :read:

77 CFM @ 0.1 inch of valve lift to 96 CFM @ 0.1 inch of valve lift
129 CFM @ 0.2 inch of valve lift to 170 CFM @ 0.2 inch of valve lift
169 CFM @ 0.3 inch of valve lift to 228 CFM @ 0.3 inch of valve lift
195 CFM @ 0.4 inch of valve lift to 256 CFM @ 0.4 inch of valve lift
206 CFM @ 0.5 inch of valve lift to 273 CFM @ 0.5 inch of valve lift

So as you can see... the valve flow increases by:
24% at .1 inch
32% at .2 inch
34% at .3 inch
31% at .4 inch
32% at .5 inch

or an average of 31%-32%... seems pretty respectable to me! I realize it's expensive... but from a seat of the pants (no dyno numbers yes) it's really nice... pulls ALOT harder at the upper RPMS and I didn't really think that was possible. As you can see the real benefit is in the highest valve lift range... a increase of almost 67 CFM! :lol:

/darin :beer:

Last edited:

chknhwk

1. Traction: tires and rear suspension
2. Airflow = hp: head work sounds great! (I'm doing it) PM sent on exhaust.
3. Gears

I think you'll be there. Good luck and keep us updated!

EDIT: Just thought that if you DO have to pull the engine and you do the clutch do a flywheel, too. That'll save you some time. (ET wise)

Last edited by a moderator:

myblk32v

Established Member
Originally posted by hwkrcng
1. Traction: tires and rear suspension
2. Airflow = hp: head work sounds great! (I'm doing it) PM sent on exhaust.
3. Gears

I think you'll be there. Good luck and keep us updated!

EDIT: Just thought that if you DO have to pull the engine and you do the clutch do a flywheel, too. That'll save you some time. (ET wise)

Already got the King Cobra Clutch and Aluminum Flywheel.

Bri'sMystic965

Established Member
With the bolt ons you mentioned in your original post, some traction and lots of practice, you can certainly get your 12 second time slip. You don't need to go to the extent of porting and polishing your heads to reach 12's naturally aspirated. I'd save the money and put it toward another project down the road.

Unless you are going all out with a complete rebuild (stroker kit), the gains you will get from P&P will be only marginal.

Just my .02.

Good luck,
Brian

Users who are viewing this thread