Engine Rattle

GODBACON

Established Member
Hi all,

Purchased a 2004 Cobra with 9,544 miles 2 days ago.
Car drives like a dream and pulls even harder (obviously) than my 2001 GT that I traded in.
Car is completely stock except for what seems to be a short throw shift & it has been lowered about 1.5".
I did install the pre-programmed tune that comes with the SCT x3 tuner.
Woke her up nicely.

What I noticed on the drive back from Virginia to New Jersey is after the car got pretty warmed up, the engine began to rattle (marbles in a can).

Engine knock?

I immediately changed the oil; 5w20 synthetic after I got back to Jersey.
Still rattling after 10-15 minutes of driving.
The engine only rattles after the car is warmed up.
No rattling the first few minutes of driving.
1st gear; engine rattles around 800-1500 RPMs.
2nd gear is just around there too.
Rest of the gears seem to do just fine.

I tried searching the forums for this similar problem, no luck.
Any input on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
Glad to finally own a Cobra btw!!! :beer:
-if i posted this in the wrong section, my apologies; please relocate.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Hi all,

Purchased a 2004 Cobra with 9,544 miles 2 days ago.
Car drives like a dream and pulls even harder (obviously) than my 2001 GT that I traded in.
Car is completely stock except for what seems to be a short throw shift & it has been lowered about 1.5".
I did install the pre-programmed tune that comes with the SCT x3 tuner.
Woke her up nicely.

What I noticed on the drive back from Virginia to New Jersey is after the car got pretty warmed up, the engine began to rattle (marbles in a can).

Engine knock?

I immediately changed the oil; 5w20 synthetic after I got back to Jersey.
Still rattling after 10-15 minutes of driving.
The engine only rattles after the car is warmed up.
No rattling the first few minutes of driving.
1st gear; engine rattles around 800-1500 RPMs.
2nd gear is just around there too.
Rest of the gears seem to do just fine.

I tried searching the forums for this similar problem, no luck.
Any input on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
Glad to finally own a Cobra btw!!! :beer:
-if i posted this in the wrong section, my apologies; please relocate.

Low octane fuel?
Cooling fan not coming on?

Make sure the tune you loaded was not a race gas tune or a tune for a higher octane than you currently have available to you.

IE: Using 91 octane in a car tuned for 93.

GODBACON

Established Member
I can't say that I notice when the fan does come on on the go.
When I tuned the car yesterday, the fan did in fact come on so I guess that's a good sign.
Engine was rattling before the tune after 3+ hours of driving.
I didn't hear a noise during the test drive since it was only driven for about 10 minutes.
If it is an octane issue, it should be dismissed; we have 93 Octane over here and that's all I use. :shrug:

This sucks.. Hope its not a serious issue.
I was expecting more from a 9,000 mile Cobra with a clean carfax and 1 owner who traded it in for a GT500.

Sage2k

Established Member
since it only seems to happen in first and 2nd gear, maybe its your transmission, or maybe the aftermarket shifter is letting a loud vibration thru into your car.

Does it rattle with clutch pushed in? Does it rattle with shifter in neutral and clutch pedal not pushed?

GODBACON

Established Member
Well.... the noise is still present, slightly in all gears, more so first really.
1st gear, regular acceleration after 20+ minutes of driving this "rattle/stirring marbles in a metal can" appears from 800-1300 rpms and then disappears.

…and its loud and damn noticeable.
I'll try to replicate and upload soon but for a 9,000 mile cobra, this is unacceptable.:fm:

Thanks guys.

spp114

Established Member
You can try reloading the stock tune and see if it goes away. Then you can determine if it is tune or mechanical. My guess is too much timing on the very low end. I had the same issue and the tuner pulled timing in the low range and now it's gone.

GODBACON

Established Member
I had a friend stop by my house that’s a great mechanic IMO and always solved my car problems.
He listened to the rattling and came to the conclusion that it's coming from the shifter area. He says its most likely a loose bushing or similar to that. He also said if I try to narrow down exact area where it's coming from that I would be chasing the noise for a while before I really find what’s loose. He was 100% positive that it was neither the engine nor the transmission which was a relief. :beer:
I guess paranoia kicked in on my part. I do thank everyone for chiming in.

Now I hope I could post in the kill section soon !!! :rockon:

Just curious... since I am new to driving Terminators.. stock '04 with the pre-programmed SCTx3 93 octane tune... close to 400rwhp 400rwtq ???

08mojo

Established Member
I had a friend stop by my house that’s a great mechanic IMO and always solved my car problems.
He listened to the rattling and came to the conclusion that it's coming from the shifter area. He says its most likely a loose bushing or similar to that. He also said if I try to narrow down exact area where it's coming from that I would be chasing the noise for a while before I really find what’s loose. He was 100% positive that it was neither the engine nor the transmission which was a relief. :beer:
I guess paranoia kicked in on my part. I do thank everyone for chiming in.

Now I hope I could post in the kill section soon !!! :rockon:

Just curious... since I am new to driving Terminators.. stock '04 with the pre-programmed SCTx3 93 octane tune... close to 400rwhp 400rwtq ???

Get under the car, remove the dust cover for the bell-housing and check your throw-out bearing sleeve. It takes less than 5 minutes. It is a very common issue on these cars and will produce sounds like you are describing.

Detonation/bad tune will make the 'marbles in a can sound' but it is not as loud as the noise you are describing.

snakerider

SVT-DROP
Established Member
May be it's the clutch making the noise. Because I noticed my McLeod twin disk makes that noise, you are describing. under load when I the rpms are around 1500-1800. Stock clutches don't make the noise.

Qwk GT

Established Member
Both of my cobra's have made weird noises, although the difference is mine only happens when the engine is cold, goes away after 5 mins of driving (both cars, 1st car with 17k miles, new car 4k miles).

While searching for my issue, I came back with a lot, but have had multiple shops (mustang) that have told me its normal.

Although, some things that I've come across is the TOB, a TSB for something in the transmission that will make those noiese, and cats/exhaust . I have a feeling mine is the TOB or trans.

Of course this is with a sound running car. Maybe some things to look into.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
OP I just had loud constant rattling sound. Mine ended up being my stock flywheel! The inner ring was loose and rattling around. It was also wore down to the rivets. Heres a video.

EDIT: BTW my car has 23k miles and my TOB and TOB sleeve were just fine, but I did upgrade those.

03 cobra tranny noise? - YouTube

Last edited:

GODBACON

Established Member
Just an update; after further investigation, rattle is present without being in gear when revving below 1500 rpms after engine has been running/driving for 20+ minutes and gets consistently louder with more driving.
I'll be checking the throw out bearing sleeve next and I'll update after.

Just to clarify, rattle is coming from within the shifter area below 1500 rpms, not engine.

Last edited:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Just an update; after further investigation, rattle is present without being in gear when revving below 1500 rpms after engine has been running/driving for 20+ minutes and gets consistently louder with more driving.
I'll be checking the throw out bearing sleeve next and I'll update after.

Just to clarify, rattle is coming from within the shifter area below 1500 rpms, not engine.

Did you listen to my video? I just had a similar rattling noise at low rpms. :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread